HELP! BE6-2 bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! BE6-2 bios

just picked up an Abit BE6-2 mobo rev.1 and I can't seem to flash the bios, it keeps saying I have to updata the rom first?
    any thoughts?
    the bios I'm trying to load is: BEH_RV
    the highpoint is at 1.21 and after trying to update that to 1.25, it shows as 1.21
    jim
    PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
    128mb pc-100 cas 2
    Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
    Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
    SB Live!
    Winblows 98se & DX7
    and 384k DSL!

Did you follow the most recent instructions on the ABIT website? It is critical that your boot from a clean system floppy and run the abitfae.bat batch file.
    http://www.abit-usa.com/utilities/abitfae.bat

Also did you use the currently available awdflash.exe program?
    http://www.abit-usa.com/utilities/awdflash.exe

If you followed the procedure exactly, then perhaps your download was incorrect. Make sure you have a good file by repeating the download from the Taiwan ftp site. Re-format the floppy and re-copy the files to the floppy. They are the junkiest and least reliable medium available.

If all else fails, make sure the BIOS chip is well seated in the socket. If so, try to obtain another BIOS chip from the same model mb. I have the same board as you and never had a BIOS flash fail.

Sorry to be basic, but make sure your command syntax is correct for the BIOS flash. It is easy to mistype or misread the instructions.

Comment

I just flashed my bios 1.0 to BEH_rv...I used a clean bootup disk...and it worked fine...but it DOES NOT upgrade the highpoint from 1.21 to 1.25, it changes to to bios 1.22...the 1.25 reference is to the DRIVERS avail at the highpoint wesite...something that confused me to....highpoint bios 1.22 is the most recent available to those on the BE 6-2 vers 1.0 mobos..also do not try to "load" the bios when flashing...just put in on a clean floppy boot disk and type A:\awdflash beh_rv.bin This is the most fool proof way rather than running awdflash first, and then attempting to load the bios on the floppy...

careful..I fried my mobo once not following procedure properly (the stupid flash froze up my computer and I had to reboot...sigh...$75 to fix...it was because I thought you had to flash mobo bios AND hpt66 bios SEPARATLEY...I blame ABIT for not clarifying the instructions better...why the heck do they have separate bioses available for both mobo and hpt if you do not have to do it independely....grrr)

[This message has been edited by bongo (edited 27 June 2000).]

Comment

Sorry, the procedure I outlined was for the BE6 mb. I didn't realize they used a differenct procedure for the BE6-2. It's been a long time since I flashed the BIOS in my BE6-2.

Comment

actually Brian, you did it!
          turns out, I was using an older version of awdflash (7.02 I think) your link was for 7.52 so thank you much
          jim
          128mb pc-100 cas 2
          Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
          SB Live!
          Winblows 98se & DX7
          and 384k DSL!

Comment

Drives me crazy. I thought Bongo was the original topic creator. At least his answer sounded that way. I should have checked the username. Anyway, great. I'll bet the abitfae.bat file would work in the case of the BE6-2 also. It seems to have error checking included. I'll bet they'll get around to implementing this batch file for flashing the BE6-2 eventually.

Comment

I used the abitfae.bat file and it worked nicely! this mobo is great! running a 700e @ 143fsb right now with 2x enabled, yeah baby!
              damn cheap memory won't go any further
              128mb pc-100 cas 2
              SB Live!
              Winblows 98se & DX7
              and 384k DSL!

Comment

Bongo...

The reason there are 2 bios files, is because there is an add-in card with an HPT-66 controller in it. The seperate bios is for that add-in card only. The support pages are very clear as to what goes where if you follow the web-site. If you just jump out to the FTP-site, you take your own chances, and you really should know what you're doing before you do this.

You're not the first to make that mistake, and you won't be the last.

Take it as a lesson, learn from it, and move on. (I've had my share of hard-learned lessons also. )

Guyver
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950
                - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Rule #1 for BIOS flashing: Be careful, and read everything twice. Then read it again as your doing it.

Comment

just another reason why I am bongo...

sigh

[This message has been edited by bongo (edited 28 June 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                    X