Gloden Orb on P-III Retail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloden Orb on P-III Retail?

I got Golden Orb today, and I can't figure out how to put it on my P-III.

Do I have to break open the case?

Please help me...

OCP Certified Oracle 8i DBA.

Epox K8HA+ w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB SamSung DDR 2100, 2 X IBM 40G 7200 rpm HD, Soundblaster Live! Audigy MP3+, Matrox Parhelia-512 128MB, Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM, Plextor 16X10X40 CD-RW, SamSung 900NF monitor, Lian-Li Aluminum PC Case.

Hi, AFAIK the Gorb is for FCPGA and other socketed cpus, I am sure there is a way to get it to work with a slot one/ slot a proc. but I am not sure.

Rags

------------------
    Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

I ordered one for Slot 1. So, I think it will fit, but don't know how...

Please enlighten me...

Epox K8HA+ w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB SamSung DDR 2100, 2 X IBM 40G 7200 rpm HD, Soundblaster Live! Audigy MP3+, Matrox Parhelia-512 128MB, Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM, Plextor 16X10X40 CD-RW, SamSung 900NF monitor, Lian-Li Aluminum PC Case.

Comment

Well, I would assume you would have to open the case up, as you would for many other coolers out there. To open up the case, use a ballpoint pen on the open end of the pins that hold the case together. Push the pen into the open end of the pin, and pull apart gently. Any pointed object (no, not that one, wise guys) will suffice if you don't have a pen.

Rags

------------------
        Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

I believe it was one of our own members who posted a really elegant way to open the PII/PIII Slot-1 cases.

Use a PC case screw.

Lay down the screw, align with pin, apply firm even pressure. Out pops the pin, no extra depth or extrusion. I've done this with 6 processors so far, no problems.

Guyver
          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
          - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
          - 6.1 Digital Audio
          - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
          - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
          - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
          - LS120 IDE Floppy
          - Zip 100 IDE
          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
          - NEC FE950
          - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Yeah, any pointed object will work, including a screw hehehe.

Comment

Can anyone knows the step-by-step illustration to break open the case? Possibly with pictures?

Although it is an old P-III 450, I don't want to waste it yet...

Thank you for all the replies, BTW.

Comment

Here you go, Monocrom. I knew I'd seen that article on one of the usual sights:

http://thetechzone.com/articles/p3_heatsink_remove.htm

Hope this helps you.

------------------
                Ace
                "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                Gainward Ti4600
                AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

The Tech Zone article directs you to remove the back plate because it traps heat. Why does Intel include it in the first place? PCB protection? Noise or EMF isolation? Doesn't the additional size create space problems (w/ or w/o the back fan). Has anyone gotten better than 1-2 degrees cooling from the back fan? Hardly seems worth adding the back fan.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                  X