Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM prices going to soar?

Background:

I'm sure most of you remember last years RAM prices and how much they really sucked. The reason that happened is because several smaller RAM makers jumped ship, because they were not making profits on RAM. It all boiled down to supply and demand. There was a high demand with a smaller supply = high prices.

The Bad Story:

I was talking to my brother who works at a RAM manufacturing company the other day and asked him what's happening in the bowels of the RAM industry. His reply was, "buy RAM NOW!" According to him (and he has been very accurate thus far) several RAM makers are switching over to Flash RAM, because of its higher profit margin.

What does this mean? If he is right, and if you have been watching RAM prices you kind of haft to agree, RAM prices will triple, maybe quadruple by years end. Basically there is going to be a RAM shortage unil the big dogs can ramp up their processes to compensate. Prices are going to be like last year times 2.

Of course this is all speculation on his part, but like I said before, he is rarely wrong about things like this. He nailed last years price hikes accurately, there's no reason for me to not believe him now. I hope he's wrong, especially since DDR RAM isn't out yet. So if you're looking to upgrade RAM within the next 2 months, you may want to buy sooner than later.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 22 June 2000).]
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Noooooooooooo!!!!

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Wasn't last years hike due to a large fire at a Taiwanese manufacturing plant?
      If I understand correctly, this years hike may be due to Rambus licensing issues.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The fire was a very small part of it. Most manufactures were only down for a week or two. You must realize that the largest RAM makers are in the US (Micron), Japan (NEC, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Toshiba), Korea (LGS) and Germany (Siemens), Taiwan doesn't have a very large share. They produce most of the generic stuff, motherboards and peripherals.

Last years RAM hikes were because a lot of the smaller generic RAM makers dropped out. Less competition and lower surpluses were the major factors to last years price hikes.

RAMBUS (the demon bastards that deserve to suffer a long, painful death and then burn in hell for all eternity) may cause prices to go up even higher, because they have patented items that have been considered 'industry standards'. So now their lawyers are running around sueing everyone for patent infrigements on items that the idustry has been using for years. Toshiba folded, but most of the RAM makers won't.

The major factor will be the supply and demand issues, because it's all about supply and demand. RAMBUS just wants to drive up SDRAM prices so their RDRAM will more competetively priced.

Jammrock

Comment

Local RAM prices for 128 megs of generic PC100 here in Atlanta have gone from $99 to $129 in the last three weeks. Rambus is the largest reason, those underhanded b*st*rds. But adding to this is that manufacturers are starting to place orders and take delivery of RAM for their huge Christmas inventory needs leading to a seasonal price run up.

Surely one of the big boys has some patent that RAMBUS needs that they can use to counter RAMBUS's extortion.

There were no DDR RAM chips at the latest shows which leads me to believe either 1) RAMBUS is somehow holding it for ransom or 2) there are still too many bugs for it to be shown yet. Either way, it doesn't look good for 3Q delivery as anticipated.

RAB
          AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Now Hitachi folded to RAMBUS, too. Prices are really going to suck this year.

DDR RAM isn't out yet because there are no motherboards that use DDR RAM yet. Once the boards start shipping so will the DDR RAM.

Jammrock

Comment

We should have invested in RMBS when I mentioned their stock run last Friday. Shoulda, coulda, woulda (will actually, I couldn'ta).
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Jammrock,
                Chicken or Egg? Maybe we don't have mobo's because there is no DDR RAM available to test the boards with. What ever the case, this has Intel's fingerprints all over it.

RAB
                AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

WE ARE SCREWED.
                  I told my brother in New York a week ago to BUY MEMORY NOW to bring back out here for me. The alarming thing is that this year it (increase) has started even earlier. Hitachi chips are usually on the low priced modules, so if they folded then (go to top) Royally

[size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I don't suppose a complete boycott of RAMBUS ram would work?, this is really bad news, it's already pretty high, if it gets very much higher, which as you guys said seems pretty likely ram will sit along side large upgrades like video cards and processors(well maybe not processors).
                    PIII 500Mhz, ASUS P3B-F mobo, G400 MAX, old ESS ISA Soundcard, 64MB Ram, Acer 15" Osborne 15", 8.4G, 1.57G, 48x AOpen CD

Comment

Since this posting, the memory I bought on Thrusday has gone up 18 bucks as of today, OUCH! Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Dave
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

perhaps what we need is an anti-rambus militia group

Comment

"anti-rambus militia group", more like anti-rambus death squad
                          Ram prices went up 50$ in two week here

Comment

Working...
                          X