This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling IP addresses is forbidden?

I heard the other day that asking money for a global IP address is against <a href="http://www.ietf.org">IETF</a> guidelines, if not forbidden. However I can see ISP's doing that all the time with ADSL connections for example. Can anyone confirm this and better yet, provide with additional (on-line) sources?
    Browsing through IETF's site doesn't seem to help at all.

:
    B

What do you mean ADSL ISP's will do it all the time? I can se them renting and IP address but not selling one.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

In Finland you can buy (for a fixed sum) a global IP to an ADSL line so you can run a server there. Many ISP's do that. Normally the line is behind NAT so one can't host anything there.
      As said that extra money that has to be paid is what troubles me.

:
      B

(BTW, to BUY an IP means in my previous posts that one pays extra to get a global IP to respectful ADSL line for as long as one keeps that line. After that the IP will be returned to the ISP's use)

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 27 June 2000).]

Comment

I see, so the idea of "buying" and IP address is so that your address will not change dynamically with DHCP or such.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Are you trying me?
          1) What is "buying"? Trading currency for goods or services. What have we here: trading money for fixed IP, hence "bying the IP".
          so that your address will not change dynamically with DHCP or such
          2) It's not the same thing. Do you know what NAT is? Using that, you are NOT accessing the Internet using the IP that you have set in your computer no matter if you typed with your own fingers or it seemed to mystically appear by DHCP, so it is impossible to set up a server while all the computers in that ADSL (or whatever) service access use that one (or few) gateway's IP.
          If one handles the extra credit, "buys an IP", it needs some rework in the network because one then bypasses that gateway everyone else is still using and has a global IP to the Internet. This extra work means changes only in router configurations (software) which brings me to my original question whether IETF has anything to say about such practice?

:
          B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 27 June 2000).]

Comment

"Are you trying me?"

hehe, sorry, didn't mean to confuse you

All I'm saying is that the only reason I can see someone buying an IP address(an individual user as opposed to a company who would buy a range) is so they will not have a dynamic address. OK, so we agree on the NAT portion. NAT is basically a firewall that does address translation. I totally understand all of the work that goes into configuring a firewall/NAT server and the implications on the router etc...
            If you were to 'buy' an IP address than that means you'd be going through the ISP anyway and they may or may not have NAT setup. Knowing this, I don't see why buying an address in the first place would benefit you unless NAT was not in the picture.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will ask around as I work with networtk engineers who may know.

btw-I'm sorry for arguing with you, I'm just trying to understand the question of "Why would someone want to buy an ip address if they have to go through NAT anyway?"

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

I make my own ip's, in my own network.
              i assign at what number to start, but basically, i can assign what ip i want the computers in my network to have. i don't think i understand what exactly you want though.

Comment

mam... why are you dredging up a 1.5 year old thread to post that dribble?
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It's called trolling, Mike. That's why he comes here.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Shouldn't it be called 'trawling'??? *Looks over shoulder for flame-war gestapo*

b
                    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Wrong again!
                      Last edited by Greebe; 14 December 2001, 21:24.

Comment

Working...
                      X