Is AGP ever going to be used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is AGP ever going to be used

Considering that at the moment with the present motherboard memory and advent of texture copmpression and ever increasing onboard video card memory will it be ever used?
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

PCI will eventually be upgraded in the consumer market. Business are already ironing out the new PCI specs for their server so eventually....mabe less than 5 years down the line PCI will be upgrade. If you have a Voodoo card you will see no benefit on AGP...but with games in resolutions of 1204X768 plus the games coming out in the next year AGP is being used. Check out www.maximumpc.com for an article about AGP vs. PCI.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

I think you missed the point. At present ( NO doubt rembus users will chip in) On the board sdram can't compete with onbaord sdram on the video card. If main amemory continues to improve won't this find the way onto video cards and amke agp redudnat anyway.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I think it's helpful now for certain CAD applications and the Quake3 Q3DM9 level where, I've read, textures can exceed graphics memory.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I think it will be about 2-3 years before the general consumer sees a different PCI style than the current 32bit 33MHz setup.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
          X