bad power supply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad power supply?

I've been having occasional system instabilities and I thought it was from overclocking but I'm beginning to suspect my power supply. My voltages are way off: 12V often drops down to 11.2V, 5V is often at 5.4V, and the 3.3V is up and down from minute to minute. This is a 300W ps that came with my Inwin Q500N case and I'm using an Aopen AX63 Pro. I suppose it could be the voltage regulators on the mobo but I thought Aopen had a very good reputation for stable boards ?? I'm not running a lot of devices, just a Celeron400, G200 Marvel PCI, SB PCI128, Winmodem, 5400rpm HD and a cheap ass cd rom Does anyone have any suggestions how to tell if my PS (or mobo) really is bad?

Those voltages are out of spec by a tad... I'd get another PS and test.
    How are these voltages loaded? Not exceeding any specs individually?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you for replying! I'll try to get a new PS as soon as I can. I'm sorry but I dont exactly understand your question about the voltages being loaded. The numbers I quoted are from the hardware monitoring software. Usually when one voltage is low, another one is really high. Should I test them with a voltmeter? Also, if I get a new PS could I use this old one just to power fans and possibly a peltier? Or are peltiers too sensitive to low or high voltages? Thanks for you help.

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Ia1 a21 I a26 a66I
        Ib1 b21 I b26 b66I
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connectors a22-25 ja b22-25 does no exist ,but there are allignment slots.

To save the time here are only the power connectors (i will NOT write all 132 )
        a1 +12v
        a5 Ground
        a9 +3.3V vcc
        a13 Ground
        a16 +3.3V vcc
        a19 Groun
        a28 +3.3V vcc
        a31 Groun
        a34 +3.3V vdqq
        a40 +3.3V vdqq
        a43 Ground
        a45 +3.3V vcc
        a49 Ground
        a52 +3.3V vdqq
        a55 Ground
        a58 +3.3V vddq
        a61 Ground
        a64 +3.3V vdqq

b2 +5,0V
        b3 +5,0V
        b5 Ground
        b9 +3.3V vcc
        b13 Ground
        b16 +3.3V vcc
        b19 ground
        b28 +3.3V vcc
        b31 ground
        b34 +3.3V vdqq
        b37 ground
        b40 +3.3V vdqq
        b43 ground
        b45 +3.3V vcc
        b47 +3.3V vdqq
        b49 ground
        b52 +3.3V vdqq
        b55 ground
        b58 +3.3V vdqq
        b61 ground
        b64 +3.3V vdqq

So there are many power connectors to the display board and those are the most common broblems
        with the power...so check them first.
        I thought that my power was faulty also but after i verified voltages with normal voltmeter
        i thought it must be something else...so it was my g400 after all...either drivers or the board itself i dont know
        but with new board ALL broblems went away.WEIRD!

I suffered random lockups and BSOD:S where sometimes sound would play on and on,and some times whole system would
        freeze at middle of something!:<

I had underrated powersupply but the boblems
        with it was always related to to startup as
        the system consumes power more on startup as the gurus can verify

hope this helps

Gatto

Ps on`t trust software that tels you properties of your mobo...verify them yourself.

Comment

Comp, I'm asking for the current being drawn from each supply line or the power load on each.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X