X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh No! Hitachi Wimps Out!

First Toshiba and now this.

From Electric Tech:

"Rambus Inc. today announced that Hitachi has signed a patent license agreement with Rambus ending Rambus' patent infringement litigation against Hitachi in the ITC, US Federal District Court and Republic of Germany.

"As part of the agreement, Hitachi will pay Rambus an up-front settlement fee, as well as quarterly royalty payments.

"The license agreement involves patents for fundamental aspects of high-speed memory interfaces invented by Rambus which are currently being implemented in Hitachi's SDRAM, Double Data Rate (DDR) SDRAM memory, and Hitachi's controllers which directly interface with these types of memory. Under the licensing agreement, the royalty rates for DDR SDRAM and the controllers, which directly interface with DDR SDRAM, are greater than the RDRAM compatible rates. The agreement also includes royalties for SDRAM and for controllers that directly interface with SDRAM.

""Rambus develops and licenses IP - our objective is to produce innovations that will benefit the semiconductor and systems industries, and by licensing these innovations to generate a return on investment to our shareholders," said Geoff Tate, chief executive officer of Rambus Inc. "We believe our Rambus memory interface is the best solution for the majority of the market. Developing and marketing the Rambus memory interface has been and remains our top priority, but we are willing to license our IP for other memory interface solutions as well. We are pleased that Hitachi chose to license our patents for SDRAM, DDR SDRAM memory and controllers. We look forward to renewing a long-term relationship with Hitachi.""

Boooooooo! Hisssssssssss!

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Hitachi sucks.

Comment

You know, sometimes I think The Register dictates the future by making predictions. As soon as they open their mouths, a foot goes flying into it, and the opposite comes true.

"Currently, Hitachi and Rambus are engaged in a legal slogging match, which may take months or years to resolve. Many of the other semiconductor companies are likely to wait for the outcome of that decision."

Years? Months? How about hours?

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

May Rambus executives burn in hell for all eternity!

Comment

Beware the advocates of Rambus, now at a forum near you! "Ok, the Intel chipset sucks, but the theory is sound, it's a superior architecture" "It has the highest bandwidth per pin count". Etc.

Thing about Rambus I find ironic is that the whole point of fewer pins in any hardware design situation is to reduce cost, yet RIMMs themselves cost a fortune to make, there is now talk of making them the same price as sdram by going to extremes of smaller processes. That sounds cheap alright, not! Of course a process shrink could reduce the cost so sdram as well I'm sure, it would be a rather odd race. I mean if you are going for speed damn the costs you might as well keep the pin count up while you are doing it.

I think I should move to the States and spy on some open standards and then patent them, I could make a fortune.

Comment

I think someone already has the patent for hypertext. So, did anyone in the Patent Office go to college?

Why make Rambus cheaper when you can make SDRAM more expensive?

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Basically, the PC industry just got stalled.

Everybody boo Rambus!

Comment

Here's a URL for the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Competition:

http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/bcmail.htm

Maybe we should write.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *gasp* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *gasp* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I HATE YOU GREEDY RAMBUS BASTARDS!!! YOU GO TO HELL!!! YOU GO TO HELL YOU DIE!!!

Jamrock - The Angry

------------------
                  Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thing about Rambus I find ironic is that the whole point of fewer pins in any hardware design situation is to reduce cost
                    Where'd you hear this?

That's not "the only reason" to reduce the number of pins. Fewer pins means fewer traces, which means an easier board layout, possibly shorter traces, less noise/interference, higher signal quality, etc etc etc. The list goes on depending on the application.

Not to quibble....

And Rambus sucks.

b
                    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

RAMBUS BAAAAAAAAAAADDDD, 30 pin simms GOOOOOOOOOOD!

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Those are all good reasons to have fewer lines, but the main one is cost, if cost were no object and obviously if it makes sense you don't need to skimp. Is this case the compensation is higher MHz, however that kills any benefit of fewer traces to begin with, you get more signalling problems, more noise, etc, etc. What's even stupider is they advocate more than one bus, negating the whole pincount thing entirely.

Comment

Do you suppose that there is any claim that end users can make in order to sue Rambus?
                          I mean, they're harming us in the long run.
                          They're obviously out for their own profit and they don't give a damn what happens to those who get in the way or what sort of harm they do to the industry.
                          So waddya think, is there a possibility for a class action law suit here?

Ian
                          Primary System:
                          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                          Seccondary System:
                          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                          Tertiary system
                          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

That's what the Federal Trade Commission is for.

I'm going to email the FTC and write my Senators and Congressman.

Lovenotes to Rambus can be sent to the following address:

Rambus Inc.
                            2465 Latham Street
                            Mountain View, CA 94040

Phone: (650) 944-8000
                            Fax: (650) 944-8080

Paul
                            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hopefully Rambus will go bust and then we can get on looking at alternative memory types.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X