Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever encounterd something like this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever encounterd something like this??

Hi I'm having the strangest problem with my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer USB, well I haven't had much luck with it from the start to be honest... First it worked really fine, no glitches at all (it was connected trough USB at that time) after a little while, it stopped moving at certain times like it got disconnected or something, and acted strangly in games. So I blamed it on the lousy USB ports on my Abit BE6-2 wich I read about in some articles, so I switched to my PS2 port and all was fine again, worked great etc... now after 2 months, it stops working at random again, and after that it moves really slowly , like you would decrease mousespeed with 50%. So if I unplug it and put it back in it start working ok again... But that kinda hard if you're in the middle of an UT game, so please someone help me

btw: Does changing the Hz rate of the keyboard input in the bios someway has to do with the PS2 mouse port? I tried altering it with no luck, but I can't remember the default setting.. anyone has an idea of this?

btw2: are there somesort of forums for microsoft hardware? Not that I'm gonna need those 'coz murc forums have the smartest people in the world on them well that I've seen so far

Moleman

[This message has been edited by Moleman (edited 20 June 2000).]
    -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

Hi Moleman,

I encountered similar 'issues' with my Intellimouse until i installed the latest drivers from microsoft. Then problem disappeared.

A bit simplistic perhaps, but it did the trick.

Cheers,

Giskard

Comment

giskard seems to have your solution. However, just FYI, messing with the keyboard won't alter the PS/2 port speed. It has its own clock. However, MS's drivers DO overclock the PS/2 port.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yep, just to verify, i had that same problem too until i put in the new drivers.

Comment

Well I already have the latest drivers, maybe that fixed the problem the first time (I switched to PS2 around the same time I updated the drivers).

But I have found the problem (now I only need a solution) It's the cable that comes out of the mouse, yesterday 2-3 hours after posting the first message, I started fiddling with the cable, and the light on the mouse started blinking, and my computer froze Since it was really late 2am and I needed to get up at 5am, I just replaced it with another mouse to finish my work. So I probably have to open up the sucker to see what's wrong, but I saw no screws at all? anyone ever opend one of those? or should I just take it back to the store?

[This message has been edited by Moleman (edited 21 June 2000).]

Comment

Hey MoleMan, I had that EXACT EXACT problem, with my intellimouse intellieye mouse. The mouse light started blinking,and eventually stopped turning on alltogether. I ended up attempting to bring it back to the store i purchased it, but i had already been using it for to long so they didnt take it back, i then called microsoft and explained my problem to them, they told me theyd send me another mouse, but it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get there, the next week i got the mouse from microsoft.

Long story short, call microsoft and see if you can file a report (say that you think or know that the mouse is faulty). THey should then be able to send you another mouse no further questions asked. I still have the broken mouse too

Frankfurt
            Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
            WinXP Professional SP1
            Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
            3COM 905C

Comment

Well as soon as got home today, I opend it up, the cable seemed fine, and I couldn't find anything else that looked faulty. So I reassembled it, plugged it in my USB port and it worked again, I only had one or two lockups and my comp. crashed once at bootup when loading the Intellipoint control panel.

Well as giskard said the new drivers seem to fix the troubles with USB wich I had before, it works alot better, but still not flawless

Maybe I'll give MS a ring tomorow to see what that gives (altough I hate tech support lines)

Well thanks for all the info ppl.

Maybe it's time for me to upgrade to a Razor Boomslang or something, altough I don't think I can live with cleaning my mouse every month again.

Comment

howd u open it, i havent been able to open the "broken one"

Frankfurt
                Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
                WinXP Professional SP1
                3COM 905C

Comment

Use a hammer, Mark

I have a Microsoft mouse as well, and have to pry it open using a small screwdriver along all sides (in the seam), until it says 'pop', and I can remove the mouse buttons and cover.

Maybe you can do so with the Intellimouse as well.

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

well it's much easier then that, just remove the 4 pads on wich it slides, I used a small screwdriver for that, and you've got 4 screws that hold it together. Well it might not slide so good after that but at least it's open

Comment

Guess what, today it died after a little hartmassage still no sign of life, then I kicked the crap out of it and still nothing
                      After a few hours, when my calmness returned I took another look, after fidling with the cable a little, I gave a little sign of life (made me remember that Terminator scene where the red eye goes on again)

So I was pretty sure it was a cable issue, to try out I cutted out the part of the cable that I was suspecting to be faulty. stripped it and reconnected it with the connector, plugged it in USB and nothing

ok last chance here goes nothing, plugged it in the ps2 port, and IT WORKED I raised it from the dead

Still don't know why USB wouldn't work, maybe it needed a reboot. Well I can surely forget my guarantee now I fixed it with some sticky tape but at least it works

Sorry for bothering you all with this problem, I hope this is the last you hear about this issue

Comment

ill tell you something, considering the same thing happened to me...what uve done is only temporary, im guessing by the end of this week not even life paddles (used in hospitals) will revive the dead mouse...and now youll have to go out and buy another
                        one

or you could see how moronic MS is and try to scrounge another one off of em, like i did.

Frankfurt
                        WinXP Professional SP1
                        3COM 905C

Comment

i havent run into those problems but i did put miine on my burning rig becuase i just hated it for gameing

back to the good old logiteck mouseman + it kicks ass!!!!
                          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                          it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

I've had a few problems with my Intellimouse with IntellEye too. Every once and while it'll freeze up for a few seconds, most annoying during online gaming. It also can't handle rapid movements, and by rapid I mean just moving the mouse a little too quick, not throwing it across the room. Plus sometimes it'll make the pointer crawl slowly as if it can't quite figure out if it has stopped moving. I've decided that the ONLY advantage to the IntelliEye gimic is that you don't have to clean it.

(PS I'm using USB with it, not PS/2)

(PPS I'm also beginning to think Bill Gates is watching my every movement though the little camera in my mouse...)

Comment

Working...
                            X