Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NETSCAPE caused an invalid page fault in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NETSCAPE caused an invalid page fault in...

Can anyone tell me why Netscape does this one TWO of my compturs and one of my
    friends:

NETSCAPE caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 016f:bff85d61.
    Registers:
    EAX=c002109c CS=016f EIP=bff85d61 EFLGS=00010212
    EBX=02e2fb18 SS=0177 ESP=02d2ff94 EBP=02d30000
    ECX=00000000 DS=0177 ESI=815f9198 FS=2a6f
    EDX=815f91a0 ES=0177 EDI=028de79c GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    53 56 57 8b 30 83 7d 10 01 8b 4e 38 89 4d f8 75
    Stack dump:

When you click "CLOSE" to this window it won't go away, you have to drag it to the corner
    of your screen..... this is a AMD K6-2 266 with a Matrox G200 and a Adaptec 2940 UW
    card.... let me know if you guys need any more info about my setup, I assume this is a
    "Common" problem. In fact it just did it while posting this question! ARGGGGGG

------------------
    AMD K6-2-266 MHz, G200, Fic 503+ MVP 3 mother board, Adaptec 2940 SCSI controler, ESS 16 bit ISA sound card, cheapy ISA 56K winmodem, cheapy ethernet PCI card
    AMD K6-2-266 MHz, G200, Fic 503+ MVP 3 mother board, Adaptec 2940 SCSI controler, ESS 16 bit ISA sound card, cheapy ISA 56K winmodem, cheapy ethernet PCI card

Had the same problem, and in time it extended to IE5 and other programs. I used Norton CrashGuard and it went away.
    Reinstalled Windows after some time and it ran well without CrashGuard on but after some time it started again.
    I thought it was a conflict between NE 4.7* and IE5 but strangely it turned out to be Go!Zilla's fault. The notorious hidden amc folder in your Windows directory. I emptyed it after the first error I got and had no more errors. Left it full again for some days and got the errors again.
    Don't know what you could make of this, but that was my experience with it.

[This message has been edited by Aurel (edited 26 May 2000).]

Comment

I get this but only after I've been using Netscape for a long time generally with several windows open. I put it down to a memory leak, Netscape probably doesn't free up all the memory it takes and eventually runs out.
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Netscape 4.x is generally not very stable. Try opening a bunch of windows, itll tank on you no matter what machine its on. Me, I was an adamant supporter of Netscape for years, but IE5 changed my mind...its just so much more stable.

------------------
        This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

what the heck is:

The notorious hidden amc
          folder in your Windows directory.

And where exactly is it, I ran a search for amc, but could not locate it.

please elaborate

------------------
          "The path of excess leads to the temple of knowledge"

ABit BE6 II UDMA 66 w/ PentiumIII 500mhz
          Matrox G400 DH 32 meg MAX
          Maxtor 13gig UDMA66 7200 Seagate 9gig UDMA33 7200
          SBlaster Live Mp3+ (with gold connectors and robot voice
          Aureal Vortex SuperQuad2500
          19" PF790 Viewsonic (superb flat screen)
          19" Samsung 950p (amazing quality for the price)
          ACK 580 crdless k/b and mouse
          Panasonic 7585 CD RW 32x8x4
          Pioneer DVD 114 10x40x
          USR V90 ISA everything modem
          one big case fan and standard retail CPU/HS cooling from Intel
          a 3COM ADSL HOME CONNECT WarpMODEM

[This message has been edited by bongo (edited 27 May 2000).]

Comment

The amc folder is a part of the Aureate "spy ware"

Check out this link for more information http://grc.com/optout.htm

Before I cleaned my computer both IE and Netscape crashed if I closed the windows in an incorrect order.

/Daniel

Comment

It's a hidden directory created by Go!Zilla,
              (Start/Settings/FolderOptions/View/Show all files , to see hidden files or directoryes)

Comment

lol, Netscape crashed while I was reading this thread.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Well Aurel, I sure don't have the amc folder, but my Netscape 4.73 still crashes... I think it's more due to the memory leak.

Jord.
                  ----------
                  T minus 13 days.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

I have been a NS user since my first days on the Internet, and if you check out the thread on NS in the SoapBox, you'll see that I have definitely had your problem , st515O.

It all seems to be related to the increased usage of Java and JavaScript on websites. Many of them do not say that they're using Java on the status bar but, as far as I have seen, why all those close boxes appear is because the Java Virtual Machine has crashed... and it seems that each individual Java command must be closed to exit Windows. It is doable (I've done it) but incredibly tedious.

It doesn't help that Netscape also opens more than one instance (seems that Mail is a separate instance from the browser, or it may be something else), so that when suddenly you can't find a site even though your connection is solid, you have to close NS, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL once and close the additional instance, before reopening it....

In my experience, this is not a solvable problem, but you can reduce it a great deal.
                    • <u>Window's System Resource Monitor</u> is a big help. Put it in the Startup Menu and let it run in the tray. After a few NS crashes, you'll have a good idea when you're about to run out of system memory, and you can close NS normally before that happens, and reboot. It's a PITA, but a lot faster than having to deal with those stupid "wait or end task" boxes, and for ScanDisk to run....
                    • Reinstalling Windows helps, but I think only if it's a clean install, not an install over itself as it runs. But that's better than nothing, and easier than a clean install anyway.
                    • Upgrade NS... the beta for NS 6 is out, try it, it's supposed to be faster and more stable. But reinstalling or upgrading through the point versions (4.71, 4.72, 4.73) seems to help some also.
                    • Fix Windows!!!!

Some little-known but urgent Windows repairs are the:[list=1][*]Win98 .vxd fix, to install several drivers that Win98 mysteriously misses --- like vcomm.vxd!!! There is a batch file to extract and copy the files, but the original site is down; email me if you want it.[*]Now, on the other hand, this guy says that the vxd fix is bulls**t, and you just need to rebuild vmm32.vxd. Weeeeellll... the .vxd fix never hurt me, and rebuilding VMM32 sounds kinda risky, but he's probably right that it's the correct procedure. Your choice, but you probably do need to do one of these 2 things.[*] When reinstalling Windows, consider using 98lite, which keeps the amount of bloat in a Windows install to a level that you choose.[*] Get that crap out of your system tray!!! If you have Find Fast installed, uninstall it via either Windows Setup or MS Office Setup. Same goes for Task Scheduler (Windows), Office Startup and the Office Toolbar (MS Office) and imo the Corel WordPerfect Perfect Fit/Perfect Print crap it sneaks in there.... not to mention the WinAmp Agent, the RealPlayer/ Real Jukebox Start Center, ICQ NetDetect, AOL IM, MS Messenger and any spyware (Aureate) junk you may have running in the system tray or background.

All these programs eat up system resources needed by programs you <u>want</u> to run. Don't stand for it.[/list=a]

Like I said, none of this will completely stop Netscape from crashing eventually... but you'll be amazed at how much longer you can run it, and how many windows you can have open before it does so.

It might even become normal for you to finish a session and close the program just because you're all done with the Internet!

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helped.

----------------------------
                    Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 28 May 2000).]

Comment

No need to email Holly for the Win98 vxd fix... You can find it right here

Jord.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well I found the fix! thanks for everyone's help... I waited a few weeks just to MAKE SURE the problem didn't come back. So you ask what the fix was?

I renamed advert.dll in my c:\window\system to advert.dll.OLD (I should really delete it now!) With it gone I no longer have that crash problem and my entire sytem is more stable! Thanks everyone for all your help!!!!!!

------------------

Comment

I know how to get this crash, you have to overload your TCP/ip connection, eg you get severaL gozilla downloadS happening(or you pull out your network cable), and when netscape has starved of IP packets for long enough it freaks out and crashes, but personally after debugging a few crash's, all caused by the kernel passing bad shit back to NS, I think its a malicous MicroShit atempt to funkify netscape.

PS the crash becomes persistant beacuse of Netscapes quality feedback agent trying to send crash info back to NS (not a good Iea if netsacape is freaking at the time).

I any of the above is crap or makes no sense , thjats because I am pissed.

Comment

The same crash happens in win95(osr2)
                            do you have afix for that?
                            wait...,another beer will fix that!
                            yep, still crashes, but know its fun
                            buuuurrp

Comment

I know the feeling of being pissed, Marshmallowman

Btw, nice idea the NS agent trying to send back crash info, if the same agent wouldn't crash as well

Jord.
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X