Win98SE, USB Wheel Mouse, and Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98SE, USB Wheel Mouse, and Gaming

Okay...I'm not sure how I'm even going to start asking about this one, but hopefully you guys can help me out.

I'm an avid Quake and Rogue Spear fan, and I'm having some troubles with my mouse. You see, I used to have a 3-button mouse (serial), which I used to play these games, and have my settings configured so that I need to be able to use at least 2 of my buttons simultaneously. More precisely, I use my left button to shoot, my middle button to strafe left, and my right mouse button to strafe right. For a non gamer, I'm sorry; these terms might sound a bit wierd . Anywho, as you can see, I'd want to have the ability to strafe left and right while shooting, thus the need for pressing more than 1 mouse button at a time. At the time, I was using a Logitech Trackman Marble (no wheel). Recently, I switched to a USB mouse (Trackman Marble + (with a scroll wheel thingy)...Since then, I have not been able to use my left and middle button at once. When I press my left button while the middle button is held down, the comptuer responds as if the left button stops the middle button before it activates. So, in a game, I cannot strafe left and shoot at the same time. I can either strafe left, or I can shoot. The wierd thing is, this only happens with the wheel button. I can strafe right while shooting simultaneously (holding down both the right and left mouse button).

ANyway, if there is anyone out there who knows of some kind of fix for this, I thank you in advance!!!

Best,

Larry

If you're using the MS drivers, it's pretty easy to tell them to handle the mouse as a simple 3rd button.

On the other hand, I'd be very suspicious that this is just from a limited design in the mouse's chipset.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

How would you tell it to handle it as a 3rd button? It detects my mouse as a HID-compatible device...

Best,

Larry

Comment

BTW, I just saw this HID acronym used when I recently updated my Logitech MouseWare drivers. What is HID? Hardware Input Device or something? What is its meaning/significance?
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

could it be that when you use the wheel as a button, you are effectively pressing two buttons at once? Forwards and backwards at the same time?

This is just a shot in the dark and anyone who knows better is welcome toshoot me down in flames, but it seems to me that when you press the wheel down, rather than activating a genuine 3rd button, you are actually pressing forwards/backwards simultaneously which is interpreted by the software as a third button press.

seems logical (ish)
          1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
          Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
          Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

HID
            Human Interface Device
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Hmmm...interesting idea birdy...I've been around on other message boards asking the same question, but nobody really knows if it's really considered as pressing two buttons. That would royaly suck though..hhehehe

I wish they had a Trackman Marble USB without the damn wheel...ARGH!!!!

Best,

Larry

Comment

I don't have your model of mouse, but I do have a Logitech Wheel. One problem that I have/had with mine was that I could not get the thumb button to work as an alt fire/zoom (in UT). I would click it and hold it to zoom, but it would only register one click no matter how long I held it.

The work around I use is to find the Logitech button software and disable it prior to launching your game. In my case, I do a [ctrl][alt][del] to bring up the Task List. I click on EM_EXEC (logitech software) and choose "end task". Then I launch the game, and all my buttons on the mouse work fine (including the wheel). You just have to be sure to close em_exec before you define your mouse buttons in the game when you initially set it up.
                My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Check the settings in MouseWare.

I once used a 3-button Logitech PS/2 mouse (now a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, USB) and the Logitech drivers by default set the middle button to simulate double-clicking with the left.

That and I believe after some version Logitech's mouseware just refused to treat the middle button as a middle button click so I had to reinstall a previous release.

Comment

try the logitech site, they have a game.whl patch for my trackman marble, this helps when playing halflife etc. it negates the need for killing the em_exec file.
                    you could also configure the mouse differently logitech have version 9.0 (i think) drivers they allow all wierd combinations of buton allocation

Comment

try the logitech site, they have a game.whl patch for my trackman marble, this helps when playing halflife etc. it negates the need for killing the em_exec file.
                      you could also configure the mouse differently logitech have version 9.0 (i think) drivers they allow all wierd combinations of button allocation

Comment

Larry: Er, not really answering the question but offering a sidestep (sic ) - Why not use two keys to strafe left and right?

I use W/S for fwd/back and A/D for left/right but the arrow keys are used by some of my friends. This lets me use the wheel up/down to cycle weapons and mouse 2 for zoom and mouse 3 for any other features (secondary fire/use item).

And, incidentally, this means that I rarely press mouse 3 at the same time as mouse 1. The only problem is if you've got a keyboard which can't handle 3 keys at a time (I've come accross a few).

Paul.
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Yeah, I've tried that, but I'm not sure why, but it feel rather unatural that way...I've used my mouse buttons to strafe left and right for a long, long time. But you're right, that might be the best way to go...

Best,

Larry

Comment

BTW, I finally got around to looking up the significance of the term HID. It seems this is generally used to define the Human Interface Devices device class within the USB spec.
                            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                            X