Washing My FC-PGA CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing My FC-PGA CPU?

I unwisely used the thermal pad that came with a retail Coppermine. Every time I pull it out of a machine, the fan separates from the CPU (of course), and the situation doesn't look great.

I'd like to clean the CPU and fan, and use some grease I ordered for another CPU. The problem is, I've never cleaned a device like this. I know a toothbrush and dishwashing liquid is probably out of the question, so I have a few questions:

What should I use as a cleaner?

What should I use as a wipe? Do I have to worry about lint? Abrasions?

How toxic is this stuff? Are there any concerns about getting it on my hands?

Where can I buy it? Radio Shack? A hardware store? Home Depot?

Does it have any other uses? Does it make a good mixer?

Thanks.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

I'm sure that someone else will have a better solution, but I just scrape off most of what I can with a razor blade. Then I use rubbing alcohol.

Whatever you do, make sure:
    1) You don't leave any residue behind
    2) Everything is DRY before you do ANYTHING.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I use a small house paintbrush (1" horsehair, actually) to brush the dust off of the fan. Since the retail heatsink comes right off of the fan assy, I have separated the fan and washed the HS in soapy water, replacing the HS grease during assy.

The the stuff Intel uses is a really soft tape. Just scrape it off and wipe till it's all gone. As for replacement, RadShack sells the stuff, but I use a copper compound (there is some silver stuff out there that is real good too). For max heat transfer, get a copper shim for your Coppermine.

Comment

paulcs,

i work as an electronic technician for the usps and i have on occation had to "revive" a board by extracting the mpu and cleaning the pins and surfaces, i alway use a kodak lens cleaner and a q-tip swab and just kind of "detail" it(..ESD countermeasures!!).

i work on high speed optical character readers and wide area barcode sorters(..made by siemans) optics and cameras alot and this stuff is always around. i haven't seen it cause any problems. it safe to handle, it will clean your camera and you can get it at a local camera shop. wether it will cut through that adhesive or not?...i don't know, but my guess is that it will...good luck!

chucky

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 15 June 2000).]

Comment

Just a little sumthin sumthin to keep in mind, if you've got a FC-PGA I'd be watchin out with that razor blade. Don't wanna cut off part of your chip. Dunno how tough they are, though.

b
          Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Thanks guys. Some of the solutions I've seen on the Web (Windex) just didn't seem like a good idea.

I ordered the silver-based thermal compound a few days ago, by the way.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Ummm..OH! You wanted to clean the PROCESSOR side... I see... I just use a Q-Tip and some 91% Isopropyl. No prob...

The silver compound works great, but I had a problem with $14 for a itty-bitty syringe of it. The copper stuff was only $5.50.

Stock heatsink does not crunch down on the chip too hard (although my buddy got a new 600E and the damn spring clip on the stock Intel HS-Fan assy. was so tight I has to disassemble the thing and re-bend the clip). I have installed a Golden Orb on my 600E, and the retaining mechanism cranks down pretty hard on the CPU, so after reading about FC-PGA failures on the web, decided the copper shim was cheap insurance.

[This message has been edited by EchoWars (edited 15 June 2000).]

Comment

cKing4, anhydrous stands for "without water, especially water of crystalization" ie the precipitate of material from solution.

Trichloroethane is commonly used to remove all types of silicone based HS compound. Most spray can type of rosin flux remover should work. If it's the wax type, xylene should used.

Soapy won't do it (let alone lens cleaner
                Alchohol won't touch it either.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The conductive tape from the stock heatsink seem to act like the silicon-based grease I used on my Celeron 300A. It dries up, and it's caked on the CPU and heatsink. Separate the heatsink from the CPU, and half of it remains on the heatsink, and the other half is stuck to the CPU. I'm not worried about the heatsink itself. That can be replaced far more easily than the chip.

Trichloroethane and xylene are what I was worried about when I first posted. Is it best to use this stuff when you want to remove remnants of Intel's conductive tape from the chip, or will an alcohol-based cleaner do?

I'd like to write an article eventually called "Cooling for Dummies." Chemistry is a weak spot for me. I have decent knowledge of what has to be done and why, but how to accomplish some of the more arcane/scary tasks (eg, chip washing) is something I have to better familiarize myself with.

Someone should write a book.

Thanks again.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I always keep a can of acetone on hand for removing heatsink tape gunk. You can get acetone at most auto parts stores (PEP Boys, etc.)

Scrape off what you can carefully with a razor blade or small knife. Put a little acetone on a clean cloth and the old tape adhesive wipes right off easily. It is also good for removing old heatsink grease.
                    The acetone won't hurt the packaging material that covers the chip.

Paul
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Yep thats what I use too it works a treat :P

Comment

Well, I decided to go hardcore and bought the acetone.

Paul
                        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Good heavens! I've never seen a list of warnings so long.

Central nervous system and brain damage, cancer, surprise visits from relatives and old girlfriends...

Back in the late seventies, I would have assumed this stuff had some recreational value.

Now I'm old, so a bought a pair of solvent gloves.

Paul
                          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

VAPORS MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRES?

When my new grease comes in, I'm sure you guys will be hearing about it on the news.

Paul
                            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Now we don't want you to slam down any flaming acetone shots...LOL

Paul
                              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                              X