Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon 1 GHz v Coppermine 1 GHz comparison :]

Hi PPL
    I was wondering if any of the Athlon clockers in this forum would post some of their Benchmarks.

I have got my P3 700 coppermine running 100% stable @ 980 MHz at the moment and would really like to know if the Athlons are a lot faster??

Yesterday I got this chip running @1050 MHZ on my brothers Be6 V2 board but I only have V1 and need to get some better Ram :P:P

At this moment in time I am running SETI and the temperature is peaking at about 37 Deg C with my Alpha P3125c heat sink taking care of the cooling,at idle the temperature is about 28 Deg C.I am using the thermistor probe that Abit packages with the board so I suppose the readings must be quite accurate?

Anyhow thanks in advance for you benchmarks
    Regards Max-Payne

Ouch. Take my word for it Matthew, if you get that thing stable at 1050 MHz, you'll have the fastest desktop on your block.

Good job!

Although they tend to excel at different things, the Coppermine is generally thought of as the faster CPU, clock for clock. The Thunderbird, which has on-die cache, might change things a bit. It's hard to get a read on it, because the motherboard support is pretty iffy at this point.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hi thanks paul

Do you have an Athlon??

Comment

No. I'm waiting for the Thunderbird and a good motherboard. I try to keep up on AMD and VIA stuff.

You've gotten my hopes up about the PIII 700, however. I might have to give it a try.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 10 June 2000).]

Comment

hmmm, how high (temp wise) should a processor go? according to ASUS Probe (I hear it reads wrong sometimes) I get about 51-56C

[This message has been edited by OzAndrew (edited 10 June 2000).]
          PIII 500Mhz, ASUS P3B-F mobo, G400 MAX, old ESS ISA Soundcard, 64MB Ram, Acer 15" Osborne 15", 8.4G, 1.57G, 48x AOpen CD

Comment

It depends. People do believe Asusprobe is a little flakey and a resource hog to boot. I haven't tested this, but I switched to Motherboard Monitor anyway.

From what I understand, Coppermine CPU's have temperature monitoring capabilities built in. Temperature can be read directly from the core. Very few motherboards actually support this feature. I know the Asus P3V4X does. On the other had, the Asus CUBX, a newer board, does not. I guess the BX chipset just doesn't support the feature.

If your motherboard is taking advantage of this feature, then readings of between 50-60 C are normal. They should drop a bit when the system is idle.

When the P3V4X first came out, people just freaked. They were used to seeing temperatures between 30-35 C, and suddenly they saw a 20-25 increase. Inquires were made. If memory serves me correctly, Coppermines are rated to 70 or 75 C, I can't remember exactly which.

If you have a P3V4X, you're OK. If you have a CUBX or a P3B-F, I'd be a little concerned.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
            X