Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Question

hey everybody

i just purchased 1 GB(..i can't belive i did that!) of Mushkin Memory, using infineon 8ns CAS2 componets(16) packaged in 4 256MB sticks and was wondering if anybody was aware of any issues with the intel gx chipset?

also...can win2k effectively manage that much? i'm only running win2k.

chucky

I have no idea if W2k can handle the 1G of memory, but I think you've become a hero to many of us tonite!
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

So long as the mobo and the chips are compatible, you're golden.

Also, yes Win2k handles a gigabyte quite readily.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Yo Chucky Cheese

What speed is that ramgood for as I am looking to get some ram soon.I got my 700 running @ 980MHz and wanna shoot for the GiG :P:P:P

Regards Max-Payne

Comment

640k should be enough for everybody...

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 07 June 2000).]

Comment

Thanks gurm...

matthew...i don't overclock my system so i can't comment on the speed...to be honest i'm not 100% sure about the quality i'm getting. do you or anybody else know anything other than whats' on their website about infineon componets?? do they make good stuff?

nuno...that still has a resounding ring in my head from my dos days!!! that and that emm386.exe crap...man am i ever glad those days are gone forever.

i gb of ram is ridiculous considering what this machine is tasked to do(..autocad, office 2k, 3D GAMING and surfing. its' amazing what an unexpected windfall of cash can inspire a man to do...hey, it was only $965 with shipping.

chucky
            ...not so lucky, getting his 2 new coppermine 800 mhz cpus' installed...wah!

this will be the specs tommorrow night...hopefully!

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II, dual 600Mhz Pentium III processors (installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 1 GB of PC100(CAS2), 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM drives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Intellimouse Explorer and 3com US Robotics 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3Cr990-TX-95 PCI 10/100 Mbps Ethernet controller.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Samsung 17" Flat Panel Display(.264mm pitch) model 770TFT.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system is the Cambridge Works FPS2000 Digital speaker system.

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 07 June 2000).]

Comment

Infineon(Siemens) do make some very high quality RAM.
              Jan.

Comment

wahhhhhhh....

my memory upgrade failed!!!

i tried 1 module at a time in bank 0 and got 6 beeps from my bios on every stick(..yes, i was well grounded!)...according to ami this is an 8042-A20 gate failure(..keyboard??)...also i got no video. i put my old memory back in and everything is OK! WTF!!

when i ordered this memory it said that there were 16 componets on each stick...what i recieved had 8 componets per module, anybody know anything about why thats' important?

mushkin says that they will make it right, so we'll see. tech support seems to be there.

chucky
                ...not so lucky, on his memory upgrade

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 07 June 2000).]

Comment

I feel your pain
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Chucky - Did you try CAS3 in the BIOS? Some of their CAS2 modules are CAS2 when in 128 MB configuration and CAS3 in the 256 MB size.

Comment

Sound like a power problem to me.
                      Try taking one stick out to verify.

[This message has been edited by bacon (edited 07 June 2000).]

Comment

CC,
                        Try this...
                        Cas3 + 133mz bus + different keyboard
                        also some pc133 mem will not run right @ 100mz.
                        Good Luck!

chuck

BTW I have no doubt that Mushkin will fix you up.

------------------
                        ABit BF6, P3-650@923, 256mb@142cas3, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

thanks everybody...but what is really trajic is that this mobo doesn't have any memory timings in the bios...NONE, so i call ami tech support on this issue and they said that a "true spd" compliant bios doesn't need those parameters...my initial reaction to hearing that was that these guys do not know what they are talking about, i have had other strange replies to other technical questions, so i don't trust their answers.

anyways, after my failure to get the coppermine 800mhz and now this, i'm looking at getting an i840 chipset board.

i'm looking hard at the tyan 2400, any pros or cons as far as tyan quality and tech support welcome...

HEY...just got email from mushkin...they overnighted (4)16 componet sticks!!!
                          that is to good to be true

GO MUSHKIN!!

chucky

Comment

Chucky - They will also follow up in a week or so and find out your experience with installing their RAM. I get an e-mail everytime I buy a stick.

Comment

aaaahhhhhh!!!!!

FedEx overnight, my new memory came at 8:30 this morning. 4 256 mb(16 componet) sticks of samsung cas2 sdram. snaped them in and all is well...i now have the most absurd amount of ram...oh well!

KUDOS' to MUSHKIN!!!!!

anybody know anything about samsung quality?

chucky

Comment

Working...
                              X