X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange problem with WinAmp 2.6

Hi guys&gals,

I've got a weird problem with WinAmp 2.6

When I play an audio CD I only get mono - output. And I can't figure out why.

Maybe it's got to do with the CDDB, looking for the CD on internet, but I'm not sure.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling WA 2.6, but it didn't help.

Does anyone know how I can get my full stereo back?

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Jord,

Outputting through wave out, or directsound?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Errrr....which point release of 2.6, hon?

I have found that 2.60, 2.61 and 2.62 are each different in terms of how stable they are (2.60 not as good as 2.5, but OK, 2.61 crashes on any machine I run it on, 2.62 seems fine).

So that's one question.

2nd question.... have you installed any new plug-ins? Check them... some of them seem to have a lot of sound customization options, which maybe are in conflict with something else in your sound setup...

3rd question: Sorry to ask the dumb question, but sometimes it is the right one. Since I do know how your sound is set up, and that you just moved ... how do you know that you are getting mono sound?

Which is to ask, does WinAmp <u>say</u> that it's only outputting mono, or are you only <u>hearing</u> mono? Because if WinAmp claims to be outputting stereo, but you don't hear it, maybe you dislogdged a cable, or your speaker wire has come loose. Is your RCA plug pushed <u>all the way</u> into your sound card?

And, heck, if I'm gonna ask dumb newbie questions, in for a penny, in for a guilder, right? If WinAmp says it is only outputting mono... did you click the 'mono' notation on the main window to change it to stereo? What happened when you did?

All right, I'll go to sleep now .

--------------------------
      Holly

Comment

I tested playing CD's with the Windows CD-Player, and that's giving me stereo over two speakers!! Nothing wrong with the plugs.
        That seems strange, because Winamp uses the Windows CD player to play CD's...

Have you tried some of the CD player plugins from winamp? Some of them use DAE.

Jan

Comment

Plug-ins for Output in WinAmp 2.60:

NullSoft waveOut plug-in v2.02
          NullSoft WMA Output plug-in v0.90
          NullSoft Disk Writer plug-in v1.0
          NullSoft DirectSound plug-in v.096

Plug-ins for Input:

NullSoft MPEG audio decoder v.2.27
          Microsoft WINAMP/WMA v1.00
          Mjuice Secure MP3 Decoder
          Audiosoft as Plug-In v1.30
          NullSoft VOC/WAV v1.21
          NullSoft CD/LIne-In v1.5
          NullSoft Module Decoder v1.3
          NullSoft Midi v0.60

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrr.... Did an uninstall, downloaded v2.62 from the Winamp site, installed that and it still refuses to play in stereo...

I give up !!

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden,

Just a question, does CD audio work anywhere else (both speakers I mean)? If not maybe the cable has come loose, a rare possiblity but a suggestion none the less.

dsp

------------------
              AMD K6-2 350@400MHz
              128MB Generic PC-133 RAM
              13.6GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
              Toshiba SD-M1212 6X DVD ROM
              ACER 2X/2X/6X CD-RW
              SB Live Value w/digital out
              Matrox G400 32MB Dualhead Vanilla @ 157/210/157
              15" Daytek 1531D
              PD 5.52
              Win 98SE
              10Base-T Ethernet card (Realtek 8029)
              10/100 Ethernet card (D-Link)
              DSL (Yahoo!!!!)

1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
              512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
              MSI 845PE FISR
              8.4GB Quantum CR
              40GB Maxtor 5400
              MSI 40X12X48
              Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
              SB Audigy
              Parhelia (210/600)
              19" Dell P991
              Win2kPro
              Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

Jord,
                did you try some of the plugins like I suggested? http://ftp.winamp.com/components/P/wacdr171.exe

Jan

Comment

dsp, I tried some other players, and they work fine on my radio (both speakers) and through my Trust 80 Watts, again both speakers.

Just Winamp doesn't want to.

I'll try your program, Jan.

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Still mono output... although WinAmp claims stereo.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 01 June 2000).]
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jord,

Ok, what I meant is which output plugin is currently highlighted? That's the one you're using. If it's Wave Out, then the problem is likely in the windows mixer. Check there.

If it's directsound, then you could have a directsound problem with your soundcard, and maybe updating your directX would help? Or newer sound drivers...

- Gurm

------------------
                      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

I think Mike and I have found the problem... Won't be able to check that until tomorrow, but as it looks it's the directsound cable from my CD-ROM to my SB32.

I'll hunt down such a cable tomorrow and will let you guys know.

Thx already

Btw, Jason, none of the plug-ins are highlighted when I look at them while playing CD-Audio. And Dx 7.0a should be the latest Dx

If you can find SB32 PnP sounddrivers beyond the ones I upgraded to last (1997 I think), you're a good one

(Not that you aren't )

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jason, how do I see that?

Holly, 1) WinAmp 2.60
                          2) After I uninstalled it, I reinstalled with the basic plug-ins only. No difference
                          3) It says stereo. It plays mp3's and midi files in perfect stereo over 2 speakers, but audio cd's only over the left speaker. I even attached my portable radio to it, with the extra cable (you know which one), and it plays audio CD's through the left speaker only, mp3's and other music files in stereo.

I tested playing CD's with the Windows CD-Player, and that's giving me stereo over two speakers!! Nothing wrong with the plugs.

4) The sstereo notation on WinAmp is not changeable to mono...

Jord.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jord,
                            If you installed and highlighted the plugin i linked to, and it stills plays in mono, it definately isn't your cable. That plugin works more like a ripper, extracting the data from the CD and passing it to Winamp for playback.

Jan

Comment

Okay, if not cable(s), not SB32 (stereo everywhere else), then what? WinAmp or my Asus 50x Max CD-Rom player?
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X