Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suggestions for overclocking an athlon 550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions for overclocking an athlon 550?

hey,

i'm planning on overclocking my athlon 550 on an msi 6167 mb. i was considering getting a goldfinger's device to overclock it.

what procedures do i go through for this? i know as much as popping off the casing and making sure i have a good heatsink/fan combo, but is there anythign else i should be aware of such as cache multipliers or anything? also, what should i be aiming to overclock to successfully? 700? 750?

thanks in advance,
    puar

The limiting factor when overclocking any Athlon is the cache speed. 550's run there cache at 1/2 processor speed i.e. 275Mhz, so 700Mhz is probably your limit without changing the cache multiplier. My 550 is running quite happily at 700Mhz
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Look for Greebe,who posts here,he designed the first commercially available overclocking device,and can tell you your limitations and in fact can hook the whole thing up for you.
      Track him down and e-mail him,(if he doesn't find this thread)and I'm sure he'll help you out,for a fee that is!

Comment

My 500 mhz Athlon (well I had the luck to have a 600 Chip inside) is running perfectly stable at 750 mhz, but anything higher than that is only getting me funny beeps from the motherboard.

So push it to the max ;-) I'd say you'll reach 700 for sure and 750 if you're a lucky camper like me. If you want more you'll have to put the cache divider down.

Happy o'clocking, Vlip

Comment

Working...
        X