Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since the Guys (and Girls) Who Read This Forum Are The Smartest Anywhere....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since the Guys (and Girls) Who Read This Forum Are The Smartest Anywhere....

...help me find something.

Seems I barely remember reading something about fast (500 Mhz+) K6-2 processors having some sort of problems with Windows or Internet Explorer. I have a K6-2 500 (2.2V) trying to run at 550 (2.4) and at 550 everything runs great EXCEPT Internet Explorer, which crashes with page faults or illegal operations. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Hi Echo,
    I had the same Prob with my old K6-3 400 running at 500Mhz. Just up the voltage to 2,5V or maybe even 2,6V. I'm sure it will work then, and it will NOT burn your CPU.

Mega
    K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
    G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

You want to really test your stability? Try the Prime95 torture test.
      I got my celery 533 up to 896MHz @ 1.7 and thought it was stable. But Prime95 crashed only a second into the torture test. If your CPU is unstable, you will know with this test.

------------------
      This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

It doesn't sound like the problem that you are having, but...

Win95 had a problem with AMD K6 processors running at 350+ MHz. There was a critical timing loop that the AMD CPUs executed too fast and Win95 would crap on it. There is a patch somewhere for it.

Win98 does not have this problem.

Comment

I've used both Prime95 and Q2 (and or demo) to test system stability.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hmmm...so I might just kick up the voltage some more. Seems odd that all apps run fine except IE5. Will give it a shot...

Comment

Oh...where can I find Prime95? Sounds like THE test...

Comment

Here
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

And here

Comment

Working...
                  X