Anyone have BT's ADSL in the UK yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have BT's ADSL in the UK yet?

If you have got the USB 'modem' for your internet access, is it possible to share this connection using something like ICS, NAT32 or some other NAT or Proxy software? I don't really want to pay the extra £60 a month for the ethernet version!

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

i dont have it but i do have dsl here in the states. what protacall are they useing pppoe? (i know its a usb modem but they still may use pppoe as the protcall. (im useing rappoe and it uses the windows dial up adapter (so internet shareing is useable.) win2k and win98 dual boot
    msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

WHAT!? THEIR chargeing an extra 60 a month for the NIC? WHY?
      C:\DOS
      C:\DOS\RUN
      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

The ethernet version also comes with faster access though and this mention of allowed sharing.

I do believe the USB one will support it but it is just a marketing thing from BT to charge more to businesses.

Paul.
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Me thinks BT needs to get cheaper before I use it.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If the USB type is referenced as a modem, and uses DUN to "dial-up", then NAT32 will share it.

I use NAT32+ tied to my SMC USB/10/100BT Connector to my COM21 (AT&T) Cable modem.

From their I have a 3Com phone-line network adapter (10MBit) tied to my GF's PC, and a 3c450 tied to my 10/100 switch which leads to my primary system and server.

All this works great, with only having to pay for a single connection. ;-)

WIth the switch active, and DHCP servers on both interfaces (3c41? & 3c450), I can pretty much add up to an additional 6 PCs on the switch side, and XX more on the phone line side and continue sharing the single connection.

The Firewall (IceDefender) and NAT32+ both run together on an old Compaq Presario 5204 upgraded to a K62-400, 64MBPC100, etc...

Guyv!

[This message has been edited by Guyver (edited 03 June 2000).]
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Working...
            X