Internet connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet connection

I 've got big problems with my internet connection. I have a single ISDN, and my brother too (the same line actually). When we connect as the same time at the same server (I mean when we play a game) he always have ping lower than mine (generally 100 !). I tried with his modem and him with mine, it's always the same, he has lower pings. My conclusion is that my modem (Asuscom TA-200) is not the problem. So I think it could be my motherboard (Asus P2B 3 years old), anyone have suggestions ??

Try switching the actual computers, to see if it is the physical line to your pc, and to his. Make sure you use cat5 utp cables, to guarantee good quality signals

Comment

I've tried to switch computers, but with no effects. I also switched cables too, but no more effects. I'm deseperate... Do I need to buy a new computer to have better pings ??

Comment

Compare the protocol stack on both machines. I assume both PCs are running the same OS. Are you running the same version of IP software? How about the IP parameters (e.g. MTU, RWIN, MSS, etc.)? Is your protocol mix different on the two machines? Are you pinging through a game console or through a stand-alone ping command (e.g. using ping in a DOS box in Win98). Check out my thread on Q3A modem tweaking: I reference some IP and game tweaking sites in there.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

What are the system specs on the 2 computers? If your bros computer is a slower machine that is playing a 3D intensive game then his modem speed may be affected because the game is sucking up too many CPU cycles.

Jammrock

------------------
          Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks xortam for the link, I'll read this very very long post wenn I'll have time.
            Me and my brother are running Windows 98 SE, I think we have the same IP parameters (default parameters). We tested pings while playing Half-Life on the same server at the same time (just by pressing TAB), and with MS-Dos command : ping <IP> , we tried with some friends IP, always the same result. Here are our configurations :
            Mine : Celeron 556, Asus P2B with CPU converter board (to put Celeron on Slot 1), 128 SDRam, TnT2 M64, SBLive player.
            My brother's : Athlon 600, Asus K7M, 128 SDRam, GeForce, SBLive player.
            Note that my Celeron is a 500 MHz overcloked to 556 MHz. So my Mainboard frequency is 75MHz instead of 66MHz, I know it changes the PCI speed (I read it in my Mainboard manual), perhaps the com port speed too ??? I don't know, I think I'll try to change my Mainboard frequency.

Comment

I had a modem that won't run very fast at 75mhz fsb(like you are using). It worked, but quite a bit slower. Maybe unrelated, but maybe worth a try. My new modem runs fine at 75 mhz fsb tho...

------------------
              AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.52015, 1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X