Plextor Problems with Win98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plextor Problems with Win98

Just bought a Plextor 8/4/32 ATAPI drive. After I installed the PlextorManager 2000 utilities, when I boot, I get the following two error messages:

"Application Error:
    Exception EInvalid Pointer in module PLXSTART.EXE at 0000BFIB
    Invalid Pointer operation"

and then

"Runtime error 217 at 00002E52"

I haven't been able to test the utilities yet to see if any work.

Sound familiar to anyone? Reinstall?

Up

Date problem with the forum again.

Comment

I don't get many problems with PlexManager 2k.

Just make sure you upgrade to the latest version (v1.05), and load the latest Adaptec ASPI drivers (VERY important). Your error seems to be a ASPI error.... So UPGRADE the ASPI drivers :-)

THe problem I do get in Win2k is that after I made a CD-to-CD copy with DiscDupe 2000, a odd problem shows up, and I am unable to write cd's with Nero and stuff after that without rebooting win2k.

And I really miss the feature that you see the audio tracks as .wav files (.wav filesystem). Probably it just is not possible in win2k, because of driver restrictions.

(and of course there is the grey-boxed icons bug, but I have to test that still)

Comment

In other words, dump PlexManager 2000 and re-install PlexManager 98, or whatever version comes before 2000.

Jammrock

------------------
        Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to find Plextor 98 (or whatever) when I get home. BTW, all the utilities I tried worked in W2K. Only get these errors in W98.

I'll try upgrading the ASPI driver before I retrograde. I have the most recent version of Plex2000.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 31 May 2000).]

Comment

By the way, I created a CDROM by copying some files from my HD to the Plextor drive. After I was done, it asked me if I wanted to write protect it. When I did that, the disc was no longer readable by my computer. What gives? Do I need to maintain the ability to write on the disc in order to read it in W2K?

Comment

Plexmanager 2000 is BUGGY.

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Can't find a previous version of PlextorManager 2000. Anyone have a reference?

Comment

Hey, I got that Plextor drive and have no problems with ver 1.05 of PM2000. I updated the firmware to 1.07 to take advantage of CloneCD (RAW). Granted I have not used PM2000 to burn, just to rip. I have installed EZCD creator 4.02 with DirectCD 3.01 so that may have helped. Oh crap, this is all under win98se. Under Win2K I haven't installed anything other than nero5 for burning. Only two reasons win98 is still on my machine.
                  1. ATI TV Wonder does not work with Win2k yet (ever?)
                  2. Fifa2000 does not work with Win2k? Not sure if the fixes that are out for win2k allow it to run (haven't been able to download them yet, no phone yet at home, just moved)
                  WOOHOO should get G400 16MB SH next week and SBLive X-Gamer the week after that.

Getting back on topic I have a SS7 POS MVP3 mobo 4.20 4in1 usb fix installed and have to disable DMA on the burner to get it to work properly. Using PM2000 I rip flawlessly at 14-20X with error correction off

DentyCracker
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Denty-
                    I have the Plextor 8/4/32 also...and just upgraded to the 1.07 firmware. You say I can now use RAW mode??? Are you sure? Way cool!!

Loaded the Plextor Manager 2000 for about 10 min, saw that it doesn't do squat for me, and uninstalled it. I have three programs I use with the Plextor...PacketCD for packet writing, CeQuadrat WinOnCD 3.7 pro, and Paddis Disk Juggler for copying. All I need...but need to check out this RAW thing...

Comment

Working...
                    X