Boom! There goes our internet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boom! There goes our internet...

A bomb in London (Hammersmith Bridge) has somehow knocked out UUNET's connections to all over the place (Including our building...).

Not funny!! We're down to a single ISDN line for the whole company, all our web servers, and mail servers....

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

B@stards

Comment

I thought the news said it was put on an electrical node, Steve?

So not only car-traffic is extremely jammed, but Internet as well?

Damn bastards yeah!

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jord,

From skynews' site:

---
        In April 1996 two Semtex bombs, the largest to have been planted in London at the time, were left at an electricity substation under the bridge but failed to explode.
        ---

Is that what you heard? I haven't heard anything about this being at an electrical node.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

Comment

No, I heard it on the Beeb's news, and checked their CeeFax after that.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

That's a bummer Steve. I don't know what I'd do without a fast internet connection.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

A bomb has just gone off, and you guys are here worried about your "fast internet connections"??? What is the world coming to?

Comment

Larry,

A bomb has just gone off, and you guys are here worried about your "fast internet connections"???
                Apparently you don't make your living in a business where the internet plays a major role in your paycheck, do you? I am sure that if a bomb blew up the bank where you keep your student loan money, you would be a bit concerned, now wouldn't you?
                Plus I haven't heard of any casualties other than property damage.

What is the world coming to?
                Like it or hate it, the world is becoming more and more dependent on the internet. What you call a toy some call a tool, a tool necessary for their livelihood.

Rags

------------------
                Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

After all the bombs that have gone off in london over the last thirty years it has become easy to be blasé about the whole thing.
                  1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                  Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                  Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Think about it - our sole purpose of our business is electronic business conducted over the web. We write software which lets people collaborate blah blah (I'm not a marketing guy!) over the net, we host web sites, we host mail servers, we write apps for web sites and so on. So yes, if we don't have an internet connection, we loose money.

Anyway, it's back now.

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X