X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of LAN help...

Hi guys.

I'm stumped.

I am doing a simple peer-to-peer LAN with just 2 PCs, both running 98.

I have gotten all the latest drivers installed on both machines, set up all the protocols, assigned IP addresses, etc. It should be working no probs at this point.

But....One machine absolutly refuses to see the other. It works one way, with my work PC seeing the boss's PC, and sharing it's files and printer no problem at all. But his machine refuses to see mine.

I have un-installed and re-installed all drivers and protocols several times on both machines.

I have tried TCP/IP, IPX/SPX and netbui, all individually, and combined.

I have forced both net cards to use half-duplex and tried both 10mbs and 100.

Any ideas??
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Maybe a silly question, but, is file and printer sharing turned on in both PCs? And is a drive set to be shared in the PC that is not seen.

Mark F.

------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 19 May 2000).]
    Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
    --------------------------------------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie

Comment

I had a similar problem and although file and printer sharing were on I couldn't see one PC at all on the network until I shared the hard disk then up it popped.

Comment

I have file and printer sharing enabled on both PCs, and the C: of both machines set up to do a full share.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

let me guess.... you're using Realtek-based cards?

if then, I can't help you much with your problem. I did however experience the same odd behaviour as Ant did, back in the ignorant days when I was using 10Mbps Realtek cards....

Now I just stay as far away from them as possible.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Well, we have the 566, the 600, both by Intel, and the 666, made in the 4th circle of hell by a nice demon called Urglefloggah, spawn of the pit.

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 19 May 2000).]

Comment

yes, try switching the nec's and see if the prob switches also
            jim
            PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
            128mb pc-100 cas 2
            Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
            Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
            SB Live!
            Winblows 98se & DX7
            and 384k DSL!

Comment

Hehehe.

One of the cards is a RealTek, the other is an Intel. The realtek card is in my machine (the one that cannot be seen), the Intel is in the boss's machine, which I can share from no prob.

I will bring in a 3com from home on Monday, and give that a shot....

I will mention though, that I have used this RealTek in 3 different PCs successfully in the past (when hooked up to a 3com on the other end)....but I could easily believe that it doesn't get along with the new Intel NIC in the other machine....

Comment

Kruzin,

Does your bosses machine have a user profile ?

The system needs a user id, and there are cases where it is possible to set up a system without one (pre-configured systems).

Comment

Yea...both have a unique ID.

The odd thing about this deal is that I had them working yesterday. Both machines saw each other fine. Then I replaced the mobo in the boss's PC (with an identical mobo), and once I did that, his machine would no longer see mine. My machine has been networked with others in the past, with this same RealTek card that is in it now....

Thanks for the input guys...the boss is impressed that I could get so many replies in such a short time...MURCers RULE!

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 20 May 2000).]

Comment

Kruzin, I hope youre not trying to mix 10Mb NICs with 100Mb NICs?? That's at least a good way to screw up a network

But do both cards use the same protocol? Have you checked that? For not all protocols are the same these days.

You might want to bring along the 3Com card instead of the Intel NIC, for the time being !!

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

They are both 10/100 NICs. Tried at both 10 and 100.

Mutiple protocols have been tried. As I said, it was working fine (with a combo of TCP/IP and IPX/SPX) Only after the mobo swap did it stop working one-way.

Comment

Strange thing maybe, Kruzin, but we had the same problem with the school network. A 3Com 10Mb on-board card not working with a (non-descript) 10Mb card (PCI).

It might've been the differences ib CPU power (486-SX33 against a DX-66), or just the drivers (non-existant for either NIC), or strangely enough, the hub. When we changed the positions on the hub, it worked, and still works!!

Okay, with a 2-pc config you don't need a hub, but you might want to look into the differences between the two cards, as well as what you had to change (???) to get the RT working with the other cards.

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

One more obvious things to check:

If you are not using a hub, are you using a crossover cat5 cable to connect the two machines? A standard cat5 cable will not work.

RAB
                          AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Yea...I'm using a cross-over (adapder).
                            If I weren't, it would not work at all....

Comment

Did you try to make a search of the computer name on the computer who can't see the other?
                              I know it sounds stupid but it sometime works when we have problems setting up our LAN games with friends.

Vlip

Comment

Working...
                              X