Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the fatest Cpu my BE6 v2 will Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the fatest Cpu my BE6 v2 will Support?

Well it's about upgrade time for my good old Katmai 450, and I was wondering what the fastest CPU is I can fit in my BE6v2 mobo.
    Can I reach the 1Ghz? with or without overclocking?

I would really like to get rid of that Celeron 266 @ 400 in my 3rd PC, wich I will then replace with my Cel300a @ 450 from my 2nd system, that then again will replaced by my Katmai 450. well maybe that will not be the case since that Cel300a @ 450 is also getting kinda slow, any suggestions on what the fastest Celeron CPU would be in a BH6? Are those Celeron2's compatible? and are they able to be clocked at 100mhz instead of 66mhz???

Please post your thougts, ideas & recommendations

1st sys: Pentium III 450 @ ???, Abit BE6-2, 128 Sdram 133Mhz, 20GB IBM HD 7200Rpm @ udma33, Matrox G400 Dualhead (Vanilla) @ 145,193,145, Sblive Full Retail, Aopen DVD 6/24, D-link 530TX Fast Ethernet Adapter 100Mbit, 17"Monitor "Mag Innovision DX17F", 72cm TV, Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer USB, Samsung Internet Keyboard, Logitech Soundman X1

2nd sys: Celeron 300A @ 450, Abit BH6, 64MB Sdram 100Mhz, 13GB Seagate 5200 Rpm, Creative Banshee, Awe32 w. 8MB, Asus 34x cdrom, D-link 530TX Fast Ethernet Adapter 100Mbit, CTX 14" Monitor, 56k External Modem, Cheapo 4 button joystick, Logitech 3button Mouse w. Scrollwheel USB

3rd sys: Celeron 266 @ 400, Generic BX board, 96MB Sdram 100Mhz, 4GB HD, 1.6GB HD, 2GB SCSI HD, S3 Virge VX, Voodoo1, SB64PCI, 4x12x Plexwriter, 8x Plextor CDrom, D-link 530TX Fast Ethernet Adapter 100Mbit, 14" Monitor, A4tech Chordless mouse

4rd sys: Pentium 200MMX, Vx based Motherboard, 64MB Edo ram, 2Gig Quantum bigfoot, 16bit soundcard, 14" Monitor, 24x Creative Cdrom, D-link 530TX Fast Ethernet Adapter 100Mbit

And some other stuff like: and unused Microsoft Natural Keyboard (ever tried to play Worms with those little Direction keys???), Soho 5port mini Hub 100Mbit, Some old thrust 3pass scanner, Epson Stylus Color and an Okijet 300C.
    -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

Check your bios. My Bus speed can go to 150 and my multiplier can go up to 9 on my BE6 rv1.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Multipliers aren't going to be a limitation on the BE6 II, so far the BF6 and BE6 II can run any "E" chip out from intel, and runs EB chips fine on mine.

Rags

Comment

Thanks for the info Rags, now I just have to wait until the CPU's are actualy available here and pick the one with the right pricetag

Comment

My BF6 runs my P3-650 @ 910 at stock volts with a stock hs/fan!
          That's a 140mz fsb using PC100 mem.
          Right now I think the 600 or 650 is about the best price/perf combo.
          The price starts to go up too fast @ 700.
          chuck

------------------
          ABit BF6, P3-650@910, 128mb gh@140cas3, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB IntelliEye,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

So then chuck, as I celebrate my 100th post , can I confirm that the Abit BF6 that I am looking to buy will take an Intel Pentium III 600E/650E 256k Slot 1 with a close to certain probability of hitting in excess of 800/866MHz with the retail hs/fan. I will probably be getting it OEM though and stick a GlobalWin VNS04/VOS32+ heatsink/fan from Overclockers.co.uk (btw, anybody used these guys before - or alternatively know anybody else in the UK that are good for this sort of stuff). And is thermal paste as good as I've heard?

And finally, I've got a TNT2 , SBLive!, Advansys SCSI, 3Com 3C905B-TX, 56k soft modem, IBM 20Gb Deskstar, Quantum 4Gb, Pioneer 10x DVD, Pioneer 36x CD, Zip100 and Yamaha 6416 SCSI - what out of this lot might struggle to hit 133bus speeds and above?

Thanks,

Paul the MURCer (well hopefully - I'd seen a guy with only 70 posts who was a MURCer yet I had 99 and was still a mini - hell, I might still be!)
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

<font size=5>Woohoo!</font>

The 'mini' is gone!

Paul the MURCer (for sure!)

Hehe.
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Moleman, Abit was spewing BS when they said the BH6 1.0 couldnt handle coppermine chips. Im running a celeron II 533 w/MSI FCPGA slocket on my BH6 1.0 board right now, and it overclocks to 800mhz nicely at default voltage. I cant really push it until I get my replacement fan back from Plycon for my gold orb. Looks like I found the perfect replacement for my celery 450.

Just make sure your BH6 has a 1.5v setting and 8.0 multipler option in the user define before you go out and buy one.

------------------
                This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

Madcat: they were not

They tested the 1.0 revision, and under certain cicumstances it could not give the needed current for the Coppermine. I thought the problem showed up only with the most power-hungry versions of the Coppermine. So 1GHz on a rev. 1 BH6 is a no-go.

Comment

Thats quite possible. Because of the lower core voltage, motherboards have to pull a lot more current to supply the same power to the chip. On the other hand the coppemine has much lower power requirements than Katmai (as is always the case with a die shrink).

Irregardless, I will be testing that on wednesday when I get my cooling fan back from plycon. I am curious to see the limits of this chip and my mobo. In any case, I would not be at all dissapointed if my BH6 cost me 50mhz or so of my maximum overclock. After all, this cost me only the processor and the slocket...im concerned as much with speed as value. So are most previous or current celery 450 owners. I know this setup is more stable at 800mhz than my 300a was at 450, and thats all I really need.

Edit: on a further note, I remember reading about an FCPGA slocket that had a four pin power connector and bypassed the motherboard's voltage regulator. In essence, this replaced the motherboard's less than adequete power. But I cant remember for the life of me who makes it...

------------------
                    This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

[This message has been edited by MadCat (edited 29 May 2000).]

Comment

Hmm that celeron II 533, looks like a nice CPU to put on my BH6 V1.0, I wasn't planning to put anything too expensive in that PC anyway. It's just for my friend who come over to play some games on the Lan with me.

But one thing has got me worried, 1.5Ghz AMD's... those CPU's seems to be almost ready to ship, and Intel can't even suply they're 1Ghz CPU's.. Hmmm maybe I'll just sell my BE6-2 and Get me an athlon system instead

Comment

Euhm Regarding last post.... those 1.5Ghz AMD's seem to be more of a rumour then truth, some german website posted that AMD factories were already making 1.5Ghz CPU's but a lot of people already said this was untrue... well you've probably read the same...

Comment

Working...
                        X