Bootable Floppy under W2K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bootable Floppy under W2K?

Title says it all. How do you make a bootable floppy under W2K? I can't find an option for transferring system files in the format dialog boxes.

Strange omission.

NT/W2K does not allow for bootable floppies (other than the original install set).

To make those, put in the w2k cd, goto the bootdisk subfolder, the select makebt32. It will take 4 diskettes.

If you need a bootdisk to install BIOS updates, etc... you should use a windows 95/98/SE boot diskette, it will work much better.

Guyv
    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I don't even see how to use the W2K boot floppies to install the BIOS. Hazard a guess why Microsoft would delete the option to make a boot floppy? Without W98 or something similar on your computer, you'd be up the brown creek.

Comment

...the win2k command interpeter cannot fit onto a single floppy. you can create a bootable floppy but it still has to "point" to the bootable code on the hdd.

it's better to install the recovery console by typing "winnt /cmdcons" from the i386 directory from a command prompt window. read the exact procedure on ms technet website;
        http://www.microsoft.com/technet/index/default.asp

the command interpeter will install onto the host drive and create a menu option in boot.ini. you'll have to give yourself full permission with the MMC as far as navigating all folders, hdds' and floppy drives...as always be sure an be logged on as administrator.

chucky

Comment

"I don't even see how to use the W2K boot floppies to install the BIOS. Hazard a guess why Microsoft would delete the option to make a boot floppy? Without W98 or something similar on your computer, you'd be up the brown creek."

It's not Microsoft's fault. Blame the company that makes your card. They can easily make it so that you can update your bios in Windows.
          C:\DOS
          C:\DOS\RUN
          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Chucky - thanks for the site link. That's a nice site for reference. I hadn't seen it before. Can you reliably update your BIOS from the recovery console?

DosFreak - I figure Microsoft incorporated the change. I have never seen the MB which recommends updating BIOS in Windows. Microsoft must think it is unnecessary to update your BIOS. By the way, I blame Microsoft for everything related to changes in their operating system. Nothing is done there by accident.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 29 May 2000).]

Comment

Have you seen www.bootdisk.com ? All sorts of bootable disks and links. Just an idea.
              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I think you may be operating under a slight misconception there Brian.

Windows NT (which W2K is based on) has never had a command prompt boot version until now (Command Console), so nothing was removed. If anything, the new CC has been added to the new version to improve it's abitility to have fixes made, things like corrupt dll's being manually fixed, updating bioses, etc...

Windows 98's next version Windows ME has had it's command prompt boot removed. It is not an option from either F8, or reboot (at least not that I found during my 3 day play period).

Guyver
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950
                - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Brian R.,

even if they made a program that would program the mb bios, i wouldn't trust it. when i took 98 off my system i made a couple of bootable disk for utilitarian purposes. one word of caution, if win2k is installed on an ntfs volume, it will not be available at a win98 boot prompt...so your drive letters will shift.

the command prompt is limited in the recovery console...you cannot execute programs(..as far as i know). i tried to update my g400 bios this way...it wouldn't run.

my mb updates the bios independant of any os installed...it does it during a power-on cycle while holding the CTRL+HOME keys.

chucky

Comment

Yeah, you're right, I keep forgeting that W2K is an update of NT4, not Win98. I'm going to check out that link for bootdisk.com. Sounds useful.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X