BP6/dual celery setups with win2K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP6/dual celery setups with win2K?

Hello all. I have hovered over this forum for some time and have just registered.

I was wondering if anyone had definitive benchmarks as to the effectiveness of a dual pentium system. I have a single celery on me board at the moment, and was thinking of treating myself. Will it improve mt Q3 Frame rates?
    I found a study on http://news.clant2k.com/features/q3_...-win2k-p1.php3 (think I have that), but it was for a geforce DDR, not a G400 Dual Head.

I understand that someone posted that the drivers did not take advantage of SNP, but does that matter?
    As long as it works without fallling over?
    Many thanks in advance

(dunno if I got the URL working, but you can cus and paste if you need to)
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

You don't get a speedup from the second CPU so much as you get a speedup from the OTHER processes offloaded to the second CPU. Especially if you specifically assign most of the other processes to the second CPU before playing.

I like my dual-cpu setup. I can do dozens of things at once without the computer shitting or getting too slow. I run into the speed limits of my bus and hard drive before I run into the speed limits of the cpu and chipset.

For the record, I'm running Dual Celly 533's with 512MB of RAM.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks for that,
      However, I was wondering if the improvement in performance was significant and if anyone had any stats on the change. As I saw from the review above, the other guy claimed to have a significant improvement at lower resolutions, and I was wondering if this was because of the GE force drivers being able to take advantage of SMP or if it was a general hike in performance.
      An earlier posting claimed that the Matrox drivers were not written to take advantage of SMP, but I would wonder if any video card manufacturer would have made a standard card take advantage of SMP systems, and if they have, in what form would that take?

Sorry about the essay
      :-D

------------------
      1X 450 celery @524 (bp6)
      256K pc100 Rambo
      18Gb Hd
      G400 dh with 2X sony 15 monitors
      some sort of soundcard (pci)
      Acer ISA modem (Wanted: cheap cable Modem!!!!!)
      Rock Steady USB Intellieye.

Too many fans!

Comment

Both. I don't have any numbers (the machine REALLY isn't set up for benching right now...), and I don't know that they'd be relevant, since you'd have to test a crippled BP6 against a non-crippled BP6... which is a silly test.

Dual processing is worth doing, if you're willing to run well-behaved software... and deal with Matrox's unforgivable slowness in getting the drivers right.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks Gurm, I appreciate the whackey feedey backey!

RedRed

Comment

Working...
          X