Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new used system...WTF is it?

I aquired it today.

Still not sure quite what it is, but it's got a HUGE monitor, and it wieghs a ton

Mostly, I'm just trying to determine exactly what type of hardware it is.

It's an HP Apollo 700 series, HP-UX (UNIX) graphics workstation. Model A2266B. HP's web site is useless in telling me anything about it. (I can't even verify HP ever made this model)

From what I can see, it has several Motorola RISC chips on the mainboard, along with 8 HUGE SIMMs (like twice the size of today's DIMMs).

The graphics board (not card, BOARD) also has 3 more of these motorolla processors on it (2 on a mounted doughterboard), and rows upon rows of RAM.

The system was used for high-end 3D CAD at a medical equipment design company, but it's day has come and gone. What I'm hoping to learn is if there is any use I might have for this tank. I thought at first I might be able to make a server out of it, if I could load LINUX on it....but that doesn't appear like it will be too easy without adding hardware (no CD or even a floppy...just a 10gig DAT, and a 4gig SCSI HD).

If nothing else, I'd like to find a use for this monitor, but once again, HPs page doesn't have squat about it.
    It's an HP A1097C 21", probably fixed frequence (only has BNC connectors...you should see the BNC-BNC cable it came with...it's like a rope )

Anybody got a clue? Or a link to a site with better info than HP? Or will this end up being yet another doorstop in my growing collection?
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

I have no clue what it is, but it sounds like you could run SETI on it . I know that's no help but something else to think about.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Where did you get it from Kruzin? Not just the sort of thing most places have lying around. You were sure right about HP, what a mess trying to find stuff. There is a support page by product, but you need a service agreement to go any further. Not real helpful if you were trying to find info about a product before you buy it. I did manage to find the following Model 743 - A2636. Don't know how useful it'll be, but at least it's the right model series. Hope it helps.

Rick

------------------
      ASUS P3V4X,Celeron 366@550, 2.26v, 128mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 10GB, 4.3GB Fujistu, Creative 24x, Creative X-Gamer, D-Link NIC, ISA Modem

Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

Kruzin,

See the following site:
        http://www.thepuffingroup.com/parisc/

In particular, the hardware database, and documentation and resources.

On that last page, be sure to download at least the two HP-UX Workstation HCL's (I suppose they are complementary); those are chock full of part numbers.

According to the HCL, an "A2266A" is a "Model 730 CRX-24Z, 420 Mbyte". That's pretty close (although not quite the cigar). I think you can take it from there.

Good luck,
        Martin

Comment

That was easy

What you have, Kruzin, is a HP Apollo 9000, Series 700 server !!
          http://www.techservers.hp.com/soluti...apollo_sb.html

Jord.

Here's an image for those staring unbelievably

What are those little things up front though?

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 22 May 2000).]
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

More info even on Avant Hercules-II. Do check the SPECIFICATIONS
            • Recommended RAM: 512 MB.
            • Recommended Disk: 2 GB.
            • Recommended Swap: 1 GB.

Ouch

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Nope.
              That ain't it.
              It's not a server, it's a workstation.
              Doesn't look anything like those pics...it's in a slim-line style desktop case...
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Can you post a picture of the total thing, Kruzin? makes searching a bit easier

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

No, Jorden, it's an old model; probably more like this:

This is a 705, and Kruzin's is (I think) a 730, but it may be pretty similar.

Kruzin, did you check the links I gave you?

Martin

Comment

That's pretty close.
                    The face plate on mine is a little different, but very similar...

So what will this 730 do? (besides leave a 3 foot deep crater if I drop it off my balcony )

Comment

Kruzin, you might want to check out this site

http://www.tcdigital.com/hpprod.html

Maybe they can help you.

------------------
                      ,HS61 004G ,mar BM 691 , 515@005 iamtaK
                      BG 31 0234 rotxaM, BG 03 +04 rotxaM

"That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

The drive was not wiped.
                        HP-UX is still loaded on it (10.50 I believe).

Wiping the drive would be a real adventure, since the only way I would have to load Linux would be with the DAT...

Comment

A little more info I got on it...

It is a model 720 base that was upgraded with a 735 processor.

Unfortunatly, at this time, I can't even boot the beast up because I did't get the external DAT yet, and the SCSI termiator is on that DAT

Thatks for the links guys...it's taught me a bit about these machines. I still don't know what to do with it, but I know a little more about it...

Comment

Some more info Kruzin.
                            As you get the DAT you might want to check if it's not ditched because it's not Y2K proof (if still required!)Some thread about what to do

Hummm, and if you need to buy some extra's for it: Hardware list with Buy On-Line

Jord.

Jordâ„¢

Comment

I was told that all "Mission Critical and y2k" updates where perfomed on this system.
                              It was in active use at a major medical design company up until just a few months ago, and they kept up on all the updates from what I can gather...

Comment

Working...
                              X