3D card advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D card advice...

My brother has an AMD K6-2 500 w/ a G100 Productiva! in it.

He want to go 3D with minimal cost.

What do ypu guys think?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Your old G200, or m3d, Patrick?
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

he already has my old G100!
      (i never owned a G200)
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Patrick, as ICQ refuses to work... here's what I tried to answer you: Isn't the G400 or V3-3000 outside your brothers budget? What about a G200 or a G200 MMS?
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

No becasue he is trying to sell the Dual Head to my dad.

He likes gimmicks so i dont think there would be a problem.

The question is, 'Are the cards too good for the machine'?

Comment

Well, he could pick up a Voodoo2 or two, and keep the G100. Or he could replace the G100 with a Voodoo3. They're cheap now, and may be cheaper in about a week, when the Voodoo5 ships.

For all their weaknesses, and there are several, I think the V3 is still a good choice for the budget gamer with a slow system. They aren't particularly fussy and they are less CPU dependant than some boards.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Yeah the voodoo2 would be a nice addition. Also how about those savage 2000 cards? There not that cpu dependant are they? Also the V3 would be nice for him because of their good 3dnow support in their drivers

PR-man

------------------
              Win2k rocks!!! Now if only my chipset was not VIA !!!!!!!!
              Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

well i saw a voodoo banshee 16 meg agp or pci on pricewatch for $60 that might be the way to go, the voodoo3 2000 was $74, but im kinda leaning to the vodoo2 in combination with his current 2d. choices choices

------------------
                Win2k rocks!!! Now if only my chipset was not VIA !!!!!!!!
                Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

I think that he will have to emphasise the fact that the 2d will be better.

I take it that a G400 /V3-3000 would be wasting money?

Comment

A combination of a G400 with a V3? Hmmm, yes, I would think that is a waste of money
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Sorry jord, perhaps i didn't stress the 'OR'

Comment

My firends younger brother has a k6-2 500mHz and a V3 3k. It works quiet well. i dont think a V3 is over-kill for that cpu at all. The K6-2 500 is pretty fast, for a k6-2.

Comment

V3 2K and overclock it to V3 3K levels, damn cheap too.

Comment

Let's not forget the G400 16meg Single Head if you can find one. They are not listed at Matrox's store, but you might find one at a local shop for around $110. As long as you keep your resolution to 1024x768x32 this should do the trick.

RAB
                            AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
                            X