Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The X-BOX by Microsoft... who wants one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The X-BOX by Microsoft... who wants one?

Couple of points about the original post.
    Where did you get the information from?

As far as I was aware the 'final' specification wasn't going to be announced until about 3 months before release, due mainly to the CPU issue.
    IE. The demo box now might be ruuning on a PIII 600, but there is a good chance it will be something a lot faster at time of release.
    Also, OS wise.
    MS have always said it will be running on a cut-down version of Win2000.

Paul
    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Paulr,

I got most of my info from PCFormat, a British PC magazine, who had such a box for testing for a day.

And yes, it might be a test-box.

The original question also stands: who wants one?

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

The X-BOX by Microsoft... who wants one?

Here are the specs, guys&girls:
      • Intel P3 600MHz CPU
      • nVidia NV25 graphics GPU (on chip)
      • 64 Mb DDR RAM at 200MHz
      • 8 GB Harddrive
      • 4x DVD
      • 100 Mbps Ethernet card
      • Win98 stripped down

Microsoft want it to be better than Dreamcast, Playstation 2 and whatever other console out there.

But what can you do with it? There's no keyboard, no mouse, just 4 controller ports, you need to plug it into your TV, and errrrr... well, who wants one?

Is it upgradable? It might be in the end. When it is released... If it is ever released...

More info? http://www.xbox.com/xbox/default.htm

Jorden.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 12 May 2000).]
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Gee, why doesn´t Microsoft call it a PC instead? A console with a 8Gb Hard drive

Weren´t they using win2k instead of win98?

Comment

A PC has a mouse and a keyboard at least

About the OS: "As with the Dreamcast, the operating system won't live inside the X-Box. Instead it will come with every game you buy, thereby solving (??) the problem of OS upgrades."

And enabling MS to sell you an operating system dozens of times over

Jord.

Oh, edit: One thing you should be aware about: It won't be out before the start of 2001... therefor you might see it like buying a 486 X-Box against a new P200 MMX PC

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 12 May 2000).]
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

What I want to know is: Can you overclock it?

Comment

Total failure, another example of incompetence brought about by arrogance.

Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
              CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
              Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Maximum PC had an Inside Sources article on this in their May 2000 issue. Seems some folks at AMD think they got hosed as they believed the Athlon was the CPU choice for the X-Box, until Bill Gates surprise announcement at the annual Game Developers Conference that it would ship with an Intel P III instead.

It went on to say that AMD has approcached Mattel about making a console with their chip.
                MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                Matrox P
                X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                LianLiPC70

Comment

Actually, I read somewhere(can't remember which site right now) that it has already been upgraded to a 733 processor
                  jim
                  edit:
                  Ah ha! HERE it is

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO[MU] (edited 17 May 2000).]
                  PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                  128mb pc-100 cas 2
                  Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                  Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                  SB Live!
                  Winblows 98se & DX7
                  and 384k DSL!

Comment

Yeah it is up to 733 and I heard it was going to be Win2k as well. I think Win98 may be too problematic.

And I don't think PCF had a test box - they just commented on the announcement (I think).

I doubt that Microsoft won't sell keyboard and mice for it - it'll come with USB probably and it would be nice to have DVD for my telly - what about Pro-Logic surround though? Anybody hear anything about this?

Paul.
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

The X-Box i saw looked soo cool, i want one just to put on my desk. It was made out of handcrafted aluminum and was all shinny. It definatly looks cool. Now i wonder how long it will take before Microsoft gets sued becuase some kid killed his little brother by bashing him over the head with the nice 20 pound, sharp metal X-Box.....

Comment

If they used W2k, wouldn't that invalidate their argument that W2k isn't a gaming platform? I mean, they're putting it in what is basically a computer that will only run games...

It seems like they'd open themselves up to a lot (more) criticism if they're going to use W2k in their own gaming machine but not support it for others.
                        PIII 550@605
                        IWill Motherboard VD133
                        VIA Chipset
                        512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                        G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                        DirectX 8.0a
                        SB Live! Value
                        8x DVD (Toshiba)
                        6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                        Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                        3Com CMX Cable Modem
                        Optiquest V95 19"
                        HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                        Microtek flatbed scanner
                        Intellimouse Explorer
                        Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                        AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

They invalidated their argument about Win2k not being a gaming platform as soon as they released a 'game compatibility' patch
                          We all know that Win2k is a gaming platform, MS know that it is a gaming platform.
                          A press release telling everybody this would kill Windows ME sales dead.
                          Who would want a gaming OS that still crashes when they could have one that doesn't?
                          Lets also be honest here, the average home computer user still isn't ready for WinNT.
                          Tell them this, and offer them 'baby Windows' on a silver platter, this keeps them happy.
                          Those who do know how to use WinNT can contiune to use Win2k, and be happy with it!
                          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Whatever the Windows version, it won't be one with Start menu, buttons, toolbars and icons to fiddle around with. Which on the other makes you wonder what that will look like

Jord.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

But what can you do with it? There's no keyboard, no mouse, just 4 controller ports, you need to plug it into your TV, and errrrr... well, who wants one?
                              Is there anything more on Dreamcast or PS2? A lot of people want those.

:
                              B

Comment

Working...
                              X