Win2000/Win 98 Dual boot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2000/Win 98 Dual boot question

I just got done setting up a machine in work with Win2000 on a extra hard drive with Win98 on the orginal HD. The problem I have is that I had to give the computer back to another office and now its stuck with the choice of booting between win2000/win98 and I took out the other hd that had win200. Is there anyway to take out the dual boot screen that comes up so that it goes directy into Win98?? I poked around the MSdod.sys file but I couldn't modifiy it.

Thanks

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

...try this...take a bootable win98 disk and put fdisk(..win98 version) on it...boot up on this disk and run fdisk /mbr...this will overwrite nts' boot sector. then erase from the root of your remaining drive these files -- arcldr.*, ntdetect.*, boot.*, ntldr.*, cmldr.*(..if present) and arcsetup.*(..if present).

that ought to do it!

chucky

Comment

http://www.budja.com/w2k/uninstall_w2k.html
      P4 2.53GHz, Intel D845PEBT2, 1GB Ram, G400 Max, Adaptec 19160 running, 2 Maxtor 18GB 10KRPM HD, Toshiba 40/10 SCSI DVD-Rom, Plextor 32/12/10 SCSI CD-RW, Seagate 80GB Barracuda IV, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Viewsonic G790 19" Monitor

Comment

You can do the Fdisk /mbr trick, but as far as I remember it will kill all your extended partitions so you need to be prepared for that

------------------
        Katmai 500@560, 196 MB ram, G400 16SH , Maxtor DM 40+ 30GB, Maxtor 4320 13 GB

[This message has been edited by CHHAS (edited 16 May 2000).]
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Make a bootable floppy disk from Windows 98 and then copy sys.com onto it. Boot from this floppy and then type sys c:.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You shouldn't have to run fdisk /mbr. Just doing a combo of what everyone else said should work:

1) Make a Win98 boot disk with sys.com on it.

2) Boot using the disk.

3) Delete "arcldr.*, ntdetect.*, boot.*, ntldr.*, cmldr.*(..if present) and arcsetup.*(..if present)" and any other file in the C: root that starts with NT. Some of these files will be Read-Only/System files so you will need to use the DIR /A command to see them all and the ATTRIB <filename> -s -h -r to be able to delete them.

4) After the files are all deleted, run SYS C: to change the boot sector back to the standard Win98 only boot mode.

That should cover it.

Jamrock

------------------
            Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Fdisk /MBR Does not remove/destroy any extended/logical dos partitions!

------------------
              INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
              G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
              SBlive
              256 MB RAM CAS2
              43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
              Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
              SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Sys A: c:
                then modify the msdos.sys to remove the boot option
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                X