Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dfx V5 6000 pictures..comments?

hi,
    have you seen those pictures from 3dhardware.net. this baby is BIG, I like the external adapter with logo

will this one be the comeback for 3dfx?

First, we couldn't believe what we were seeing, but after a quick check in the graphics settings, our jaws dropped. Why you say? Well as you can see from the screenshot, QIII was running at 2048X1536X16 at very very playable framerates. This provides a simply astonishing image quality and speed, easily defeating the Geforce 2 GTS

Michel
    PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

for 600 bucks it better beam me to the enterprise. (video card tech is getting to be obsurd.
    msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

That monster is almost a full length card! I haven't seen one of those in YEARS!

For $600 you'll never see one of those in my computer, unless I inherit a fortune. Can't say anything else about the card since I've never used one, but it seems to be fast. Woo hoo.

Jammrock

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I would rather it be a full length card, you're going to need those fans for upward propulsion to avoid cracking the AGP slot off.

Wall warts suck, what happens if you forget to plug the thing in, does the card fry?

Comment

Himself,

nope it doesn't fry itself. The reason 3dfx went with an external power supply is that some Mobo chip manufactures didn't quite give the AGP port its full power rating and some of the older nivida products had hard time running on the first gen Althon boards. Thing I wonder is if you still need this sucker on Asus boards with their AGP pro slots which allow full power to the slot (110v).

Scott

------------------
          Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Personally, I'm impressed with the size.

I'm not particularly shocked by the price, however. Many people paid a similar amount for a Voodoo2 setup *several years ago.* If you opted to take the Canopus route, you may have paid even more.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Oh Boy, this is a Baby!!!

HeHe, can't wait to see it in action !!

If this baby wouldn't cost 600 bucks... But i stay with Matrox. The produce cards that does everything. Hopefully the G800 will have Fillrate that sucks my Athlon out.

Mega
              K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
              G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

I assume 3dfx puts a full size tower case in the pack, right?
                I doubt that monster would even fit in my mid-tower case...

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 16 May 2000).]

Comment

Yet another forced-obsolecance board from 3DFuXu. Buy our insanly over-priced card...it'll be good for 6 months...then we'll sell you another cause this one won't work in the next gen of mobos!!

To answer GT98's question...no, the AGP pro mobos won't help this POS...because judging by the way the contact edge is cut it won't fit! It's only cut for 1x/2x AGP mobos!

People who shell out 6 bills for this Edsel of a video card are gonna be mighty pissed when they can't use it on their new mobos (when they come out)...
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

leaving apart the graphic quality, price..and the technology involved in it.
                    we have to admit that for today standars the card is really fast.
                    but knowing that the v5500 isn´t finish (you can´t go and buy one yet)..and 3dfx said the 6000 would be ready later than the 5500..
                    i think this card would have to compete with the next generations of card..where (i think) this kind of performance won´t be spectacular...

Comment

I don't agree on this point with Kruzin at all..

with that kind of power, it would just even pay off to buy it. Just look at how long the Voodoo-2 SLI was an acceptable 3d solution... this probably costs less than buying a new vid card every so many months. and you will have some bragging rights :-)

Comment

It looks like a digi16 board!

paulcs is right about spending for the dual VooDoo II cards. I waited a bit but still paid $500 for a pair of them.

Was there a particular reason they went with an external power supply versus using the PC internal power supply connected to a four pin connector?

Cleaner power, estimating nothing left in most PC's, consumes more power than multiple SCSI hard drives?

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 16 May 2000).]
                        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                        Matrox P
                        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                        LianLiPC70

Comment

*sigh*

I won't even comment. Y'all know how I feel.

- Gurm

------------------
                          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

But you guys didnt see it running at 2048 at Playable speeds in Q3. The thing is damn impressive, and the image quality is way up from the V3's. FSAA looks great on racing games and works in everything. Its not that bad of a board, of course i wont buy one.

BTW, the case it was in was very small. It was deffinatly a small mid-tower.

Comment

I'm waiting for the nex-gen Matrox so I can get the same jaw-drops from the awsom visuals that I get at lan bashes with my lowly g400 vanilla ;o)
                              jim
                              PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                              128mb pc-100 cas 2
                              Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                              Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                              SB Live!
                              Winblows 98se & DX7
                              and 384k DSL!

Comment

Working...
                              X