Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Windows 2000 won't restart and shut down properly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Windows 2000 won't restart and shut down properly?

(My Comp)
    G400 Max, 5.03.025 driver
    P2B-DS ASUS lastest bios 1012b.
    OS Windows 2000 finally build.

Everything works finally in win2k except when i reboot, all applicantions closes as normal then freezes on the background screen. Nothing moves, and then I have to turn off my comp thur the main switch on the back on my pc tower.

Anyone have any clues due to this problem?

My best guest is the matrox beta driver for win2k? this so?

First of all, the drivers you are using are not beta. Second of all, most shut down problems are associated with ACPI problems. You might look at the ASUS website for a new bios that may have ACPI fixes in it.

Rags

Comment

First of all you made two mistakes!
      One I have the lastes Bios installed! from Asus.
      Two G400 max doesn't have a certify driver for OS win2k yet? just G400 bud.!

[This message has been edited by Godblissyou (edited 12 May 2000).]

Comment

First of all, I made no mistake. I said look for a bios that has specific ACPI fixes, contact ASUS if you don't understand. And the drivers you are using are not BETA! Just because they are not MS Certified, DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE BETA. BETA drivers will be labeled BETA.

Second of all, if you aren't going to listen, then why post a problem?

EDIT: The latest bios for your board is not the 1012, but it looks like it is the 112b, from a quick once over at their website. and I toned it down a bit
        Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 12 May 2000).]

Comment

Listen to Rags!
          He's correct!

Comment

please read what I have in the first message okay..I do have 1012b installed dummy!

and when a driver is not certify for the OS then it's either not approve by microsoft since in this case Win2k, the driver is still buggy. Beta or not it's pretty much the same ....READ I HAVE 1012b installed!

Comment

The only dummy in this thread is you. You absolutely have no clue what you are talking about. Anyone who knows anything about drivers knows that just because a driver is not certified, does not mean it is beta, and just because a driver is certified does not mean it's buggy. Secondly, if you had spent a bit of time reading some FAQ's, some threads concerning the certified drivers, and even www.murc.ws , you would have known that you can, in fact, install the certified drivers on your Max, but instead you want to be a jerk. In both my first post and second post, I told you to check out ASUS for more information regarding ACPI and your board, maybe trying a different BIOS. You have given us little information on your system. You haven't told us if you are using two processors, what type, and what speed. You haven't told us what peripherals you are using, and you haven't told us what HAL you are using under win2k (UniProcessor SMP PC, Dual Processor SMP PC, Standard PC, ACPI PC, etc.). What kind of help are you expecting? Or are you just here to be a jack-ass to people who are trying to help?

Rags

Comment

Whoa!!! Cool off guys!! We are just here to help - not to rip each other apart.

Godblissyou, why do you think its the G400 drivers. Why not suspect the last SOFTWARE you either installed or uninstalled. Software causes more problems than hardware. But even if it is hardware, why Matrox. The soundcard, modem, SCSI drivers, etc., are also new to Win2k. Were Matrox drivers the last thing you loaded before your problems started?

RAB
                AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Do you know what happen when you install the G400 certify on the G400 before you say anything, some functions don't work dude! or else I wouldn't have to uninstall it. The matrox website even explain so!

Comment

Do you know what happen when you install the G400 certify on the G400 max before you say anything, some functions don't work dude! or else I wouldn't have to uninstall it. The matrox website even explain so! I experience it..example....the duelhead DVDmax mode doesn't work. Some drivers are just meant for the specific hardware.

[This message has been edited by Godblissyou (edited 12 May 2000).]

Comment

Like I said before, you don't know what you are talking about. The certified drivers work fine with the Max. Do a search before you stick your foot in your mouth again. Try reading the forum survival guide while you are at it, you may learn some interesting things there as well.

Edit: The Max and the G400 both behave exactly the same using the certified driver, believe me.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 12 May 2000).]

Comment

I see Godblissyou has got off to a good start.

Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Godblissyou reminds me of a person who complained about the fact that Windows 98 diden't let him install "Plus for Windows 95"!

------------------
                          INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                          G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                          SBlive
                          256 MB RAM CAS2
                          43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
                          Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                          SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

godblissyou, I would not want to spill your pint down the pub, you get really aggitated really easily don't you?

I will try to offer some help for your unfortunate situation regarding your computer hardware. If you react the same way to me as you have the other kind people on this forum i will come round to your house/flat/hovel and insert a suitably large root vegatable into the orifice out of which you speak!

A few questions you need to answer:

Your motherboard BIOS, was it installed before or after win2k? it does make a difference.

In your device manager is your computer set as a standard PC or ACPI compliant PC?

What cpu are you running and is it overclocked?

Have you downloaded the latest updates from MS?

Does it shutdown in Win98 OK?

Answer these questions and supply a full itinery of what your system comprises and we may be able to help you.

------------------
                            Coppermine 600E @ 828mhz (138mhz FSB). Globalwin HSF (the hooge one with the air duct set to blow cold air in)Abit Bx6r2.128mb Winbond pc133, Iwill 2930u scsi, USR Message Modem external, SB Live!, pioneer dvd104s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, Yamaha 8x4x32 CDR, Maxtor Diamond Max 30GB!!@ 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. Win98/w2k Dual boot. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor, FPS100 sound system.

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                            Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                            Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Q.Your motherboard BIOS, was it installed before or after win2k? it does make a difference.
                              A. Bios driver 1012 was installed during OS win98. Then came the lastest Bios driver (1012b) after I installed OS Win2k.

Q. In your device manager is your computer set as a standard PC or ACPI compliant PC?
                              A. ACPI Multiprocessor PC

Q. What cpu are you running and is it overclocked?
                              A. PIII600@671mhz, yes it's overclocked.

Q. Have you downloaded the latest updates from MS?
                              A. Yes other then that, just the recent release service beta pack. Not out for public yet.

Q. Does it shutdown in Win98 OK?
                              A. Yup it does.

Answer these questions and supply a full itinery of what your system comprises and we may be able to help you.

------------------
                              PIII 600 @ 671mhz (112mhz FSB). Asus P2B-DS(Scsi).128mb SD pc100.SB Live!, Hitachi dvd 4x, Maxtor Diamond Max 28GB!!@ 7200rpm, G400 max. OS Windows2000. 17" monitor.

Comment

Working...
                              X