Problem with Norton Ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Norton Ghost

Ok, granted, this is not a General Hardware problem, but since there's no General Software ..............

When I restore from a Ghost image file all my long filenames have been truncated to DOS format 8.3, does anyone else have this problem, and is there a way around it ?

(it still works, but it's pain a the a$$ renaming all those files)
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

No such problem here, using v5.5.

Comment

Ahh, well, time for an upgrade I guess...

Thanks Himself

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

No problems here using whatever the latest on the shelf version is.
        If you don't want to upgrade, can't you use that long file name backerupper? LFNBACK or something before the ghosting? Then when you dump it back, restore the long filenames?

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Great tip SteveC, I'll look into that

------------------
          Katmai 500@560, 196 MB ram, G400 16SH , Maxtor DM 40+ 30GB, Maxtor 4320 13 GB

Comment

OK, I just discovered a big problemo with Ghost (I use v5.1) - if you install win2k and get win2k's install program to format your hard drive to FAT32, if you then ghost that all seems OK. But when you ghost back, it restores it all OK, but when you try and boot the OS, it dies telling you BOOT_DEVICE_INNACCESSIBLE in a Blue Screen Of Death. Format the HDD first using a win98/95 bootdisk.

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Working...
            X