Win2k ACPI-iness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k ACPI-iness

OK, so my PC is listed as a 'Standard PC' - I have an Abit BX6r2 with ACPI turned on (it wasn't turned on when I installed win2k) - how can I change it to an ACPI PC, why would I want to, and can it be done without re-installing? Cos I can't be bothered.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Suposedly you could go to the device manager and change the "computer" to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". But 99.999% sure, it won´t work and you won´t be able to boot.
    Sorry Steve, but the only way to properly enable ACPI is to reinstall win2k.

Comment

Thanks Nuno - by reinstalling, is over the top OK, or should I clean it out and start again?

Also, what's the benefits of changing to ACPI?

And, another question - win2k doesn't shut down on my PC like win98 does - it goes into a 640x480 screen which tells me to turn off my PC... any ideas anyone?

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

Comment

I think reinstalling in win2k never can be done over the top. I mean, documents and so are not deleted, but I think win2k setup deletes all OS files and folders before installing again. Not sure about that but I remember something like that in my fist times with win2k and my struggle with ACPI

So I think a complete reinstall is better. Now you have two options: let win2k setup to choose the pc type you have or force the ACPI instalation. If it detects ACPI, that´s good, because the bios fully support it. Yes, older bios revisions of acpi capable motherboards had trouble reporting that to the os. Only with the latest bios revision for my gigabyte, win2k setup automatically installed as a acpi machine. Before that I had to force the instalation by pressing F5 at the beggining (when it asks you to press F8 )

Suposedly, ACPI improves stability. It basically is an advanced power management system, but it also does IRQ steering, putting all the pci devices in one IRQ and letting the OS decide what device deserve some cpu time at the moment instead of being the device drivers to decide it. I still didn´t fully understand ACPI, but it works fine this way so let it be.
        To be honest I can´t tell a big diference in stability from the standard pc install.

Even without ACPI enabled, win2k shuts off an ATX computer. I remember having that problem too. Check your control panel/power options. It´s an unchecked option. I really can´t remember what, because the options are diferent with an ACPI install.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 16 May 2000).]

Comment

Steve check your email! Cheese
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Guys! I'll leave it until win2k decides to kill itself (or I kill it, whichever comes first)

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

Comment

Windows 2000 probably isn't shutting down because the motherboard is on ACPI mode but Windows isn't - try switching ACPI off/APM and the computer should auto switch off.

Paul.

PS: Once (or with Windows 2000's stability, If) you decide to reinstall then you may have to press F5 on setup (at the point at which is asks for F6) and choose the appropriate option for you.
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Since turning on ACPI in my BIOS (and leaving the win2k settings alone) it's now shutting down.

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X