Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Slot1: Which Motherboard?

Hey guys.

My current POS motherboard is dying, and im thinking about going the dual route. I want to run Dual PIII 450's w/ Win2k and my G400 MAX.

I dont need SCSI or o'cing stuff, just a good solid Dual Slot1 BX motherboard. Does anyone have any suggestions for good, resonably priced motherboards? Thanx guys.

=Dyre, Posting while his system still boots=

------------------
    Greg
    PIII 450
    G400 <b>MAX</b> w/ 2x 17in Monitors
    Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)

The DFI P2BX/D is allright, it only lacks good ACPI implementation (will surely be updates through a future BIOS update). The Asus P2BD is also good, but very expensive.

Comment

I'd probably do with SuperMicro as I have had good expreiences personally and they have a very good name in the server arena.

Products such as the P6DBE seem to fit your description.

The boards on the posts above seem popular as well so must be good boards.

Are you looking for ultra-reliability/server boards or just a cheap SMP P2?

HTH, Paul.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I have a Supermicro p3dbe and though it is really (really) expensive it is truely a quality item. It comes with on-board sound, game port (which you can disable) and a LAN port.

Be careful it fits in your case as it is a lot bigger than my previous board (Soltek sl-68A which may also fit the bill for you and is much cheaper)

Comment

Hi Dyre,

we have several Asus P2B Dual boards here at work (in various flavors) and all I can say is that they really rock !

Stable, reliable, well performing and not too expensive.

Cheers,
          Maggi

PS: I'm supposed to get a new P2B-D with two P3-600Es in a couple of days ... I'll keep you posted how it runs.
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thanx for the feedback guys!
            I was accually looking at that EPoX board. Its right in the price range im looking (~$125), but i would like SOME o'c ability if possiable, i really hate to limit myself like that.

Basically im looking to go dual becuase i want to use this system as a workstation/home server. As i need a new motherboard anyways i might as well upgrade.

Anyone hear anything/know where to get one of those Cool FreeWay/ATrend Dual Slot 1 motherboards that has the red PCB? Apparently its very nice and has a 1/4 PCI divider.

The ASUS IS nice, but expensive.

Comment

Just a quick word of warning. The G400's aren't SMP compatible under Win2k as of yet. If you stick with NT 4, though, you should be fine.

C=64

Comment

I'm also looking at getting a dual slot-1 mobo, but I want to use dual CuMine PIII's overclocked (using 133MHz FSB). Are there any decent boards that fit the bill?

Comment

Another thing I heard about if you get 2 Cpu's they got to be the same stepping model.
                  Is this right?
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X