Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo2 SLI help

Help!
    I have a Matrox Marvel G200TV and two Diamond Monster 3D II 12 MB cards in SLI.

After days of problems and playing around with card, slot order etc., I finally got it to work in SLI mode, with the latest Diamond drivers, since the the latest 3dfx reference drivers didn't have a checkbox place to select 'don't sync buffer to monitor refresh'. Even though my monitor is capable of 60-75-85Hz at 1024x768 and below, I got black screens if I tried running Quake II or a Glide game at any resolution above 640x480.

I've been able to get 80-130 fps in Quake II at 640x480 and 800x600 (indicating SLI performance is now working) but 1024x768 still eludes me.

Sometimes it works, but only for a minute or two or a few seconds, and then the screen hangs. And sometimes, playing around with drivers, and MiniGLs, it seems that in Quake II, (v3.20) sometimes only one card seems to be firing up as the screen is interlaced (only every other line is drawn) at 800x600 and 1024x768 in some instances.

I say the 'screen hangs' because it seems to be still running--sometimes a CTL-F9 can get me out of it back into Windows where I then have to forcefully close the game through task manager.

My ultimate goal is to get this thing working so I can play FreeSpace2 at 1024x768.

addendum:

since the reference drivers don't have a checkbox for 'don't sync to
    monitor' i'm going to try them next, on a clean reinstall with powerstrip
    and use that program's 3dfx control applet capabilities.

also, the monster 3d IIs run at 92 or 93 mhz by default, but after a 1024x768 'crash', i find that the slider is at 95 mhz. odd.

==
    "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

A couple questions rei, what are your system specs, are you o/cing anything and have you been to any 3dfx forums to ask this question?Cheers.

------------------
    Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @759, 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,
    Win98SE 4.10.2222A, DX7a.

Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @770, Swiftech MC370-3 peltier cooler 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,
    Win98SE 4.10.2222A, DX7a.

Comment

3dfx forums, no help, they're uh, morons

murc is full of nice knowledgeable folks.

celeron 366, 66 mhz fsb, no o/c.

17" adi 5p monitor, marvelg200tv 16sdram, 2xmonster3d2s 12 mb, abit bm6, 192mb pc100 sdram. promise ultra66 controller.

pulled out my 1 isa nic, 1 pci nic, aureal vortex2 superquad sq2500 in order to troubleshoot.
      ==
      "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

Hei rei,

maybe the fact that you're running a Marvel makes it a little harder, but there have been many discussions about 3dfx & Matrox combos in here.

I'll check the search option that this forum offers ...

Cheers,
        Maggi
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

yep, i'm pretty thorough, plumbed the forums last night for wisdom
          ==

Comment

... # 2...

btw, make sure to set the VGA Boot Sequence to AGP/PCI in order to determine your G200 to be the primary display adapter.

CHeers,
            Maggi

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

thanks maggi. i did things by the book and i know what i -should- be getting. but i'm not.

pristine perfect reinstalls. using driveimage image files. every possible combination. ripped out network, sound cards, as well. oh well...i'll tackle it some more before i decide to give up.
              ==

Comment

thanks, i figured that out just yesterday and got sli working now all i have left is that danged 1024 problem. (ie, it works for a few seconds, then screen freezes, or i get black screen, that i can usually CTL-F9 out of etc)

thanks for the stab (at helping)

[This message has been edited by rei (edited 09 May 2000).]
                ==

Comment

hmmm ... weird

did you already update all BIOSes & drivers ?
                  (MoBo, G200, Voodoo, BX chipset)

latest drivers for Voodoo 2 v2-w9x-dx7-3.02.02

latest drivers for G200PD 5.52

You could also give those WickedGL drivers a shot.

I heard that those were pretty compatible in general and would also give some extra options.
                  WickedGL features:
                  [*]Up to 2 times performance improvement in Quake3! [*]Improved visual quality [*]Extra acceleration for high resolution high quality modes in Quake3
                  Sounds cool, eh ?

Have fun !
                  Maggi

PS: I noticed your answer while typing this reply and gathering the links, so feel welcomed to ask again for assistance in case you need help ...

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                  Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                  LG BH10LS38
                  LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

using 5.41 for marvelg200 (since they don't recommend using 5.5x) and all the bioses are updated (hmm another abit bios just came out yesterday though)

so i'll give it one last shot with gusto.
                    ==

Comment

If I remember right, to get those killer frame rates at 1024x768, your monitor would have to support 120Hz refresh rates and you have to set that in the Monster control panel. Otherwise the screen goes black and no joy.

My monitor was rated for it but would not do it. I ended up getting a different monitor to get it to work.
                      -------------------------------------------
                      SCompRacer, one who left a Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro and dual 12MB Monster II's in SLI for a G400 a long time ago...

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 09 May 2000).]
                      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                      Matrox P
                      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                      LianLiPC70

Comment

eh? 1024x768 would be able to manage 40-60 fps, all i want is to be able to achieve that resolution (freespace2). i know framerate won't be 100+.

my monitor supports 60-75-85, so i should be able to get at tops 60 fps at least, which would leave me happy anyways.

unfortunately all i get is a black screen, or like i said, a few seconds of playing or, a few seconds of what seems like not-completely-SLI, interlaced display before the screen locks up.

setting the glide/direct3d/both refresh sliders doesn't seem to help. (60-75-85)
                        ==

Comment

Quake3 Arena timedemo.
                          Tested on PIII-500 with 2 Wicked3D Voodoo2 boards in SLI configuration.

Drivers:[*]3dfx driver for Voodoo2 version 3.03.00, released on 12/3/99[*]WickedGL drivers, released on 12/16/99[*]Regular version of WickedGL[*]WickedGL with high resolution modes optimization

Timedemo results:
                          <font size=2><table border>
                          <tr><td width=10% align=center>Resolution </td><td width=10% align=center>Quality
                          settings</td><td width=10% align=center>3dfx</td><td width=10% align=center>WickedGL
                          (1)</td><td width=10% align=center>WickedGL
                          (2)</td>
                          <td width=10% align=center>Improvement</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td colspan=6 align=center>demo001 </td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td rowspan=2 align=right> 640x480 </td><td align=center> default </td><td align=right> 47.6 </td><td align=right> * 51.8 </td><td align=right> 50.0 </td><td align=right> +9%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td align=center> maximum </td><td align=right> 28.0 </td><td align=right> * 50.9 </td><td align=right> 49.1 </td><td align=right> +82%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td rowspan=2 align=right> 800x600 </td><td align=center> default </td><td align=right> 42.4 </td><td align=right> * 49.5 </td><td align=right> 48.7 </td><td align=right> +17%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td align=center> maximum </td><td align=right> 26.3 </td><td align=right> * 48.3 </td><td align=right> 47.8 </td><td align=right> +84%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td rowspan=2 align=right> 960x720 </td><td align=center> default </td><td align=right> 34.2 </td><td align=right> 43.1 </td><td align=right> * 44.4 </td><td align=right> +30%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td align=center> maximum </td><td align=right> 23.4 </td><td align=right> 41.8 </td><td align=right> * 43.3 </td><td align=right> +85%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td rowspan=2 align=right> 1024x768 </td><td align=center> default </td><td align=right> 30.6 </td><td align=right> 39.6 </td><td align=right> * 41.4 </td><td align=right> +35%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td align=center> maximum </td><td align=right> 22.0 </td><td align=right> 38.4 </td><td align=right> * 40.3 </td><td align=right> +83%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td colspan=6 align=center> demo002 </td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td rowspan=2 align=right> 640x480 </td><td align=center> default </td><td align=right> 46.1 </td><td align=right> * 48.0 </td><td align=right> 46.2 </td><td align=right> +4%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td align=center> maximum </td><td align=right> 16.5 </td><td align=right> * 45.0 </td><td align=right> 43.3 </td><td align=right> +173%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td rowspan=2 align=right> 800x600 </td><td align=center> default </td><td align=right> 42.6 </td><td align=right> * 47.3 </td><td align=right> 45.8 </td><td align=right> +11%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td align=center> maximum </td><td align=right> 16.1 </td><td align=right> * 44.1 </td><td align=right> 42.8 </td><td align=right> +174%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td rowspan=2 align=right> 960x720 </td><td align=center> default </td><td align=right> 33.1 </td><td align=right> 43.2 </td><td align=right> * 43.2 </td><td align=right> +31%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td align=center> maximum </td><td align=right> 15.1 </td><td align=right> 39.6 </td><td align=right> * 39.7 </td><td align=right> +163%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td rowspan=2 align=right> 1024x768 </td><td align=center> default </td><td align=right> 31.3 </td><td align=right> 40.1 </td><td align=right> * 40.8 </td><td align=right> +30%</td>
                          </tr><tr>
                          <td align=center> maximum </td><td align=right> 14.7 </td><td align=right> 36.8 </td><td align=right> * 37.4 </td><td align=right> +154%</td>
                          </tr>
                          </table>

Default quality settings:[*]Default for fresh installation of Quake3 retail version

Maximum quality settings are the same plus:[*]Texture details -> maximum(rightmost slider position)

* - best performance

How's that ?

PS: darn, I have no clue about HTML ...

[This message has been edited by Maggi@Home (edited 09 May 2000).]

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                          LG BH10LS38
                          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

uh...how is that supposed to help me? ^^;
                            ==

Comment

Working...
                            X