Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router

Hi people,

I was hoping to get feedback from any of you users who have the Linksys Etherfast Router. I have read numerous reviews on this product and its competing products, and I am leaning towards buying this or any of the many other 'home' router's that are on the market. My current setup at home uses a computer running SyGate 3.0 connected to a @Home cable modem.

The Linksys website and the reviews that I have read don't mention much in terms of gaming except that it is compatible with multiplayer games. I play a mix of FPS (Quake 2/3, UT, Rogue Spear) and some StarCraft when I have some time. Do all these games work flawlessly? Also, can there be multiple machines behind the Linksys router playing a multiplayer game with other people on the internet? I know the Linksys router and serveral other competing brands have a feature called the DMZ, or de-militarized zone. I like this feature, but it only applies to one computer behind the router.

Another thing I would like to ask is about ICQ. Again, several sites mentioned getting ICQ to function behind the router, but they did not go into detail about ICQ funcions like chat and file transferring for multiple ICQ clients.

Anyway, any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated. ThanX.

Best regards,

Ben
    Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Why a router?
    chuck

PS Our computers are connected to the dsl modem through a Linksys switch. Firewall is ZoneAlarm.

------------------
    ABit BF6, Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Ditto
      My three machines are only on a single V.90 dailup over a fast ethernet lan with a 5 port stackable hub using NAT32 on my gateway machine (Cyrix PR233) as a software router and BlackIce Defender for the firewall. I WANT DSL!!!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

ObiBen,

I don't have a LinkSYS broadband router thing yet, but I sent an email to LinkSYS about this topic. They said as long as the gaming server is setup to allow multiple users on the same IP there shouldn't be any problem.

I know it sound kind of wierd, but I have done internet gaming using software share devices without any trouble. I am pretty sure that most game servers allow this by default, as broadband is very popular now a days.

I know EQ works and I haven't bumped into a Quake, Counterstrike or UT server that wouldn't let me and another person on from the same IP, so you should be in good shape.

Jammrock

------------------
        Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

ThanX for the feedback guys. The main reason that I am interested in buying one of these home routers is that I frequently reconfigure my machines (both h/w and s/w). Also, I'd like to use the computer that hosts (SyGate 3.0) the internet for my family for other purposes.

Well, it looks like I'll be putting in an order for the Linksys router soon, but I'll just check out a few other brands before making my final decision. ThanX guys.

Best regards,

Ben
          Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

Working...
          X