Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyone who had luck OC'ing a Xeon at all???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyone who had luck OC'ing a Xeon at all???

Heard here and there that it is in no way possible.
    K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
    G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

send me a Xeon and I'll let you know how it goes

Comment

Mega, if there's a will, there's a way!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Nope, every Xeon I have tried to has been a failure.

Rags

Comment

Even if it is possible, it is extremely unlikely.
          Unlike most/many CPU's, Xeon's are probably sold @ the fastest speed that they can achieve. Yield is really an issue with those things.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

xeon have big external caches, i think they are probably the limiting factor. disabling the cache would be a pretty lame solution as the whole reason you buy a xeon for it big cache.

most mobo's made for xeons, are for servers so reliability is there forte' they don't give you any reasonable overclock settings.

I would think if you could bump up the fsb 5% or so and back of your cache latency you might get some results. but I for one don't have the dollars to blow on turning xeon in a noeon (a blown xeon with a dead l2 cache)

IMHO

Comment

I haven't played with a Xeon (never even seen one in person), but I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't play with the cache latency -- it is on-chip, right? Also, even the FSB increase would be rough.

Suppose you had a Xeon 800, +5% would make it 840. That's almost 850, and there are probably very few that would do 840 but not 850(and thus be repackaged for a much larger margin).
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have 2 dual Xeon 500 rigs, in a attempt to keep in front of hecubus I have started to overclock them, it works, but they get very unstable as soon as I leave the room, 103 works with no problem but there is no real difference in speed, 112 starts to do big difference in seti time, but there is a problems in stability, it is possible for seti to finish a wu or to but it always dies after a day or to. Usually one of the client just die and the comp continues to work, seti needs to be restarted. I added more cooling to the CPUs but the problem still continues. I will continue experimenting this weekend with other memory settings. Any suggestion’s?
                read more in seti forum

Stefan

Comment

Of course, Stefan ...

put 'em in a refridgerator or right below an exhaust of air conditioning.

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                  Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                  be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                  4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                  2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                  OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                  4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                  Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                  Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                  LG BH10LS38
                  LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Maybe the big L2 cache (it runs with full speed even on the old-not-coppermine-core , right?) is just maxed to the...max. on 450Mhz one the cache runs with 450Mhz, i think there is not much room for overclocking them.

Mega
                    K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                    G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

That's what I'm trying to say, Mega.

jsb: It's possible that only a small part of the cache can't handle the higher speed. See if you can run a L2 cache checking program.

Comment

Working...
                      X