Anyone Use/Familiar With Using Dual Modems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Use/Familiar With Using Dual Modems

Have someone who lives way out in the sticks, and works at home. Suggested they look at Diamond Shotgun dual modem approach to increase DL rate but I could find no info on the S3-Diamond site about it.

Can anyone tell me what you need to do to use two modems, hardware and software wise?
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

For the Suprasonic II (two modems on one card), you need Windows 95 or 98, one free ISA slot, two free com ports, one free IRQ, two phone lines, and a CD-ROM drive.

This information was from the Diamond web site. In addition, your ISP has too support this protocol. Find an ISP first. They may be hard to locate. Try AOL or Microsoft.

Comment

I ran Dual USR 56k modems for a while.
      I just got tired of the cost of an extra phone line, and the extra charge most ISPs hit you with for dual connections.
      It did work nicely though. Improved d/l times significantly, but did not do a whole lot for gaming...

It's pretty simple to set up. Just put in 2 modems (or one dual modem), call your ISP to have them set up a multi-link account for you, and set up your dial-up properties to use multi-link.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks for the info. My Sister-In-Law has an at home accounting business and her four phone lines expense can get well into the 4 digit area. Trying to save her some money.
        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
        Matrox P
        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
        LianLiPC70

Comment

I worked for tech support once and one of my coworkers actually told a customer that if u put in multiple modems, u get more speed.. so if you put in 6 modems.. it's 6 times as fast...hahahhahaha.. oh man.. that one kept me laffing for a while

Comment

Does anybody know if Windows multilink supports multiple ISP accounts? i.e. connecting to two separate ISP accounts from 1 PC - and aggregating the downloads?

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Pace I've tried it under 95, 98 and 2k, doesn't work.
              Some ISPs have multilink enabled and don't know. If your ISP doesn't cut you off for multiple logins then you could just try the multi-link. Win2k's multilink is sweet. You can set it to multilink only when you need it and disconnect the extra line when not. Cool!
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

98's multi-link is the same way. You can connect and disconnect the second modem at will, without having to log off the first modem.

But AFAIK, you can't do this with separate ISP's. it has to be 2 links to the same one...
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

What I meant was that in 2k unlike in 98 you can set the other modem to dial in (automatically)when the line is being used to say 75% capacity for 66% of the time and to release it when it falls below that threshold
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll try all the free ISP's in the UK in the hope they will work!

Anybody use multilink in the UK - which ISP?
                    I am planning to switch to a flat-rate provider so if it's one of these all the better!

Thanks again,

Paul
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                    X