Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok people, this REALLY is NOT cool and I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok people, this REALLY is NOT cool and I need help!

Ok, here's the tale. Mike, bear with me cause I know you know it already... Anyway, here goes:

I ripped (maybe a bad word cause it didn't rip, but best I can think of now) my Athy cover off last weekend and then took off the heatplate. I of course wanted to see what it looked like.... Naturaly, right!?! So, All this was done vary carefuly and then when I saw that I only had a 700 core (I was upset, call me an a$$ if you want, but I was hopin for more), I decided to put it back together. So I put the heatplate on and then today when my new alpha got here, I put it all back in my comp (after several attempts with a stock cooler which was too small to support the chip). I still get no post. I have the 4 red leds in my K7 PRO which means the cpu is not seated. Ohhh, but it is....

So, here's what the deal is. The chip is back in one piece again. Nothing fell off the chip. There are no cracks anywhere on the chip/cache/pcb. The fu*ker is in the slot. I have plugged everything in correctly.

What else can I do. I took this chip which was working from my Uncle's computer (in exchange for mine cause I was hopin for better cache/core - it is better cache btw). I know the chip used to work. I know everything else in my comp used to work. WTF!?!

Dimitri

***Edit***
    I forgot to mention, the chip will move about 15 degrees either toward or away from the chipset.

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 04 May 2000).]
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Muad'Dib,

uhhh...i have no idea, but if i were in that situation i think that i would use a magnification lens and inspect the slot real closely...just to eliminate it. maybe there was a "cold" solder joint on the cpu pcb, and removing the heatplate exasperated it. are the voltages the same in both setups??

my pIIIs' will list either way in their slots also, the pIII retainer mechanizim is cheap!

good luck...

chucky

Comment

Dimi, static maybe? You sure there isn't any chipping of the edges, even in the slightest on the cpu cap (what touches the heatplate)?

I know we talked the other night, but maybe someone around has a running system you could try it out in. It's worth a try

Have my fingers crossed for ya man!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks guys. Unfortunately Mike, the only other Athlon system around me is my uncles and that was such a pita to set up that I don't want to even go NEAR it!

I'll check the other stuff tomorrow when I'm more awake and the vodka has settled a bit. Hey, when you're in college and you kill your computer, a little drinking never hurts, right!?!

Dimitri - NO, NOT THE ONE WITH THE 20K PICTURES!!!
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
        --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

you know, sometimes when nothing is going right, I usually resort to the Chevy tool. I get the hammer out and...oh wait! that's something else.

Seriously though, when it gets to that point, you need to strip your system down to bare minimum and make sure there isn't something in your system that is flaky. Sometimes when something appears to be running fine, as soon as you shut down the computer and turn it back on, all hell breaks loose. anyway, just another suggestion of the many I'm sure you will get. Good luck.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

i would dubble check the cpu seating. i had the same probelm (and i did scrape off a cap, what happened was that i thought my cpu was all the way in when it wasn't. you may find that it isn't all the way in.
            msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
            it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

I know the feling!
              I tryed to strip the backplate from my boxed P3 and ended upp killing it in the most peculiar way:

I scraped it some at the upper left hole for the heatsink.
              I't start's so you can enter bios on my mobo and a few other but it wont boot, on some mobos it freezes after the vidcard has displayed

Tryed every posible setting in bios but it wont post att all.

I am now using it at work as a mobo boot tester

My parent's has a general purpose insurence so i got a new one (the price had dropped so much in one mont'h that i diden't have to pay a nickle)

------------------
              INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
              G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
              SBlive
              256 MB RAM CAS2
              43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
              Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
              SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
              X