Modem question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modem question

I have read that a 56k does not upload as fast as a 33.6, True??
    The reason im asking is I can get a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6 External
    Modem cheep! When I play on the MGI server, I keep killing my dumb self even when I not around a thing! Could it be that im not uploading the packet to the server fast enough so it knows that I have changed locations?? I now have a USR 56k internal, and have tried adding strings to get it to go to 33.6 but with no success!
    So what do you think?
    Man I wished I could get cable or DSL but all I have is two cans and a string!! LOL
    Thanks for the advice!

Oboy
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Hi Oboy,

I work for an ISP. Just taking a quick look at our logs, we find that most 33.6 connects end up witha 33.6 back channel, whereas most of the 50k+ connects have a 22.8 back channel.

Internal modems in general tend to be inferior to externals (thats just my opinion - I'm not trying to start arguments) and the USR flavours seem to be bad, even for internals.

The US Robotics Courier V.Everything was a great modem and if it's cheap, then give it a lash. As far as 'killing your dumb self' is concerned; use guns with smaller bullets :-)

Cheers,
    Giskard.

Comment

Yes it is true. You don't need very high upload rate when surfing, but you need fast downloads. Fortunately, you can usually easily force any 56k modem into slower speed if you want to play online.... such as I do. Unfortunately, the init strings are different for each brand/type.

As for the internal/external... it doesn't really matter unless you are hardcore player and worry about ping times, because internal modems offload some work to the CPU, with a slow computer and resource demanding game this could spell trouble.
      Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

It really depends on line quality. It is true that the modem manufacturers have concentrated on download speeds, but a Courier is a "we spare no expense" modem and should provide you with the best possible connection, bar none.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
        X