Win2K and G400Max – please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K and G400Max – please help!

I installed Windows 2000 yesterday and run into major problems. I downloaded 5.03 drivers for W2K and they seem to work fine at first. Then roughly about 5 minutes later as I was organizing my desktop icons, the screen goes black. I press ALT+CTRL+DEL, nothing happens. Press the Windows key, I hear the sound, but the screen is still blank. I reboot and the OS starts loading, but once it gets to the part when the login screen is supposed to appear (meaning, when it is supposed to switch to a video mode other than 640x480 VGA), the screen becomes garbled. Weird pattern, colorful horizontal lines near the bottom that look like sliced and jumbled up windows desktop. The OS still works, I can hear sounds as I press the keys, so it is not locked up, its just that I can’t see what’s going on.

Subsequent reboots produce the same effect. I can use “Enable VGA” mode to load up the system and mess with drivers. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, but didn’t help and OS doesn’t report that there is anything wrong (no IRQ conflicts).

Keep in mind one thing, I have been using G400 with Windows 98 and Windows NT 4.0 in dual boot for a very long time. Never had any problems whatsoever. And I can still load up Windows 98 that I kept in dual boot with no problems. So my guess is that it can only be a problem with the W2K driver. But why would it work for 5 minutes and then decide to freak out?

I’ve heard that there might be some issues with G400 and dual CPU systems. Can anyone confirm this?

My hardware configuration:

Tyan Thunder 100 dual CPU motherboard, BX chipset
    2 x PII 400 Mhz
    512 MB Ram
    Millenium G400 Max
    SB Live Value
    Creative Encore 2X DVD

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Eldar

you don't by any chance have a "power management" event defined in the bios that coincides with the that time frame do you?

i have a multi processor system and i'm not having problems...check your acpi settings

chucky

Comment

Quick check - have you got the latest (beta, if necessary) BIOS from Tyan? I seem to recall that the Thunder is capable of misreporting ACPI and thus munging all up.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
      X