BIG Heatsink!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG Heatsink!!!

Last night I put together an Athlon 700 system for a friend and I put a GlobalWin VOS32 on it. That thing is huge! If I didn't get an Abit KA7 I doubt that thing would have fit on the motherboard! So any overclockers out there looking to get a VOS32...make sure there's enough space on your board first.

I haven't overclocked it yet, but I'll give that a whirl today or tomorrow.

Does it make a big overclocking difference if you put the heatsink straight on to the chip, instead of on the plate on the SECC cartridge? Maybe Greebe can answer this one...

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

How about a link to or just a picture of this HS, Jammrock?

If only Greebe could post a comparable picture of his HS against this one... and let us be the judges/jury

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hey Jord, you can find pics(albeit small ones) on Globalwin's web site here. http://www.globalwin.com.tw
      The VOS32 is indeed a beast... I think I may get one myself.

Ian
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

I would mount it directly. Just remember to use cache spacers.

Wish I had a web cam of even a functional 35mm at the moment, because if you think that's huge you should see mine! It's 14.6cm x 14 cm x 11 cm with a 120mm, 115 cfm fan!
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Want some pics?
          Check out my review from February
          <a href="http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/globalwin/vos32/" target="_blank">http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/globalwin/vos32/</a>
          Wanna see cool? Put a 120mm Fan on the VOS32. I did for a while, it was really mean looking!

PS: Not spam, just wanted to throw up some good pics...

Comment

Hmmmm...pictures...

Well, my friend already took his computer back. He had a hankering to play some Freespace. It may just be me, but I think he will notice the difference in game speed (Athlon 700, 256 MB RAM and GeFarce 256 32 MB vs. Pentium 166, Voodoo2 and 32 MB RAM).

He even took off before I could overclock it! The bastard!

Anyway, I bought the VOS32 at 2CoolTek for $29. That's a steal for that rig. The motherbaord was nice too. Lots of tweaks for the board and chip. I may even get a KA7 to replace my Biostar junk instead of an ASUS K7V...

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I got the VOS32 also...I contemplated mounting it straight onto the CPU, but then making the spacers for the cache chip will be a bit hard because the heatsink is not all flat. What makes it worse is that the area right above the cache chips is a slanted part. Oh well...

Green
              It's not a typo...it's probably corrupt graphics generated by your overclocked video card...

Comment

If you do mount it directly please use a #43 wire index drill bit and a 4-40 tap (ASE), this will fit through the holes in the pcb, whereas anything bigger won't. Also be very careful when securing it! Use a cross tightning pattern and only in slight amounts once it's in contact. Never overtighten!!! (this is the same as mounting a header on a car engine block). If you don't, the edges of the core cap (chip itself) will fracture and quite possibly destroy the cpu itself! Sadly, I have had customers do this to a very good cpu.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Someone did that with an old K6-2 350. He took away the ALU plate and put the Cooler (standard)directly onto the core. The result:
                  He couldn't overclock it to 400 anymore. And his CPU was dead after some Cooler moving.

Keep this in mind...
                  K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                  G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Mega is right, even the best there are around have Oopsed! Like my friend Gabe at Swiftech, he's trashed 2 Athlons when designing his MCx000 series peltier coolers to fit them!

Comment

Um, Dyre, didn't your mom ever tell you to make your bed before taking photographs for web-based hardware reviews?

TSK, TSK, TSK...
                      System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Dyre, I wouldn't suggest anyone use the Y adapter with the YS Tech fans as they draw more current than a single fan power connector can provide safely. Wouldn't want to see them smoke it would ya?

Comment

Working...
                        X