Athlon 700@900 wont post on my K7Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon 700@900 wont post on my K7Pro

I just got this cpu from www.cpu-overclockers.co.uk (long story). It won't post on my K7Pro (110cg, 1.3 BIOS) at any voltage. I tried with a Maximiser which lets me boot ok up to 800MHz. Setting it to 850MHz results in the BIOS reporting 800MHz! (I've checked all the switches with a multimeter so I don't think the Maximiser is faulty). I'm using a FKK 50 cooler and it runs at around 40 celcius at 800MHz.

cpu-o/c say it ran totally stable on their FIC SD-11, so I'm wondering if it is a mobo problem? Any ideas?

Cheers, Tony.

------------------
    K7Pro(110), Athlon 500(650)@7.5, G400 32 DH, Latest BIOS and drivers, PCI128, 128Mb PC100 CAS-2, Pioneer 103S DVD etc etc.

FT.

Are you using the latest BIOS? When I first got a K7Pro, my Athlon 550@850 was reported by the BIOS as 800MHz, even though it was actually running at 850. I flashed to the latest BIOS (at the time) and it then reported it as 850MHz. It also worked at 900, and 950MHz.

Comment

Hi Rogue

I've tried 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4(a beta) to no avail. What voltage did you use?

Cheers, Tony.
      FT.

Comment

Tony, Go get yourself a better HS (recommend the Alpha P7125 and Globalwin VOC32) and set the voltage to 1.9 Vcccore. I do not reccommend going higher! If it boots up and runs stable start dropping it down in 0.05v increments.

------------------
        Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
        Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
        CPUmark99 75
        FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It's a shot in the dark, but how good is your power supply? CPU wattage goes up with frequency, you might be pulling too much power. Then again, I wouldn't even go with that idea...at first.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I wouldn't have thought the voltage has got anything to do with what speed the BIOS reports, but for the record I was using 1.75v to run at 950MHz stable.

Comment

Greebe is wrong, as ever.

Is that a original K7-700? If yes, your L2 cache maxes out at 750 (L2=375Mhz). You have to solder your SMD's.

A better heatsink doesn't make it boot, of course.
              K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
              G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Greebe is wrong, as ever.

Is that a original K7-700? If yes, your L2 cache maxes out at 750 (L2=375Mhz). You have to solder your SMD's.

A better heatsink doesn't make it boot, of course.
                K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz

Comment

MegaManX4 - you are being a bit hard on Greebe.

I know a better h/s doesn't make a CPU boot, and i'm sure he does, but it will help stability, lifetime etc.

The cache has been soldered to 1/3, and will run fine at 800, 1/2 = 400MHz or more if I tweak the FSB. So it shouldn't have any problem at 900/3 = 300.

I've had other people suggest the PSU, so I'm now looking for an Antec 300W or simillar if anyone can suggest a uk supplier?

Cheers,
                  Tony.

------------------
                  K7Pro(110), Athlon 500(650)@7.5, G400 32 DH, Latest BIOS and drivers, PCI128, 128Mb PC100 CAS-2, Pioneer 103S DVD etc etc.

FT.

Comment

MegaManX do you have to be obnoxious. Keep your personal attacks to yourself or have it out with Greebe in another medium. It really does come across as very petty and almost Nazi-ish. Well maybe not so far but .....
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

How about SINGLE posts too!!! C'Mon man, is it so hard to delete multi-posts!?!

BTW, I'd take Greebe's advice almost (only almost as all chips are slightly different as he has so many times told me ) as law as you can see he know's his sh*t from his results....

Dimitri
                      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Ok Dentycracker, your absolutle right, I think this bothers everyone here. And, I'm german, but not a nazi.

Greebe, are you reading?

How about Peace?

Mega
                        K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz

Comment

First off moron, I have more experience with Athlon's than you could possibly ever know! 1. I have the AMD tech Doc's. 2. a customer who's original Athlon 700 (250nm) which does 850 with the L2 cache latency set to 1:2 ie 425! 3. His processor is currently running at 1gHz. 4. I am the first commercial designer of the Athlon mod in the US 5. Many people here have my mod and are frequent visitors of this site. 6. My Athlon500 (week 42, 250nm) is currently running @850mHz and will do 1:2 cache latency @800! 7. get real this forum is to help not flame because of personal problem with another

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 30 April 2000).]
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Mega, I'll cool it only when you come to respect others whom have another opinion. Secondly I'm Dutch/German so I do know and it disgusts me how you (and the like) think that they are 100% right. I at least know I'm not.

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 30 April 2000).]

Comment

Muadib,
                              Which double post ?

Greebe, I think no one is 100% right, so I'm also not.
                              Normally I respect others opinions,, but in our last "fight" I was so 100% sure that I was right.
                              So if you half German you know this:
                              Schwamm drĂ¼ber .

Mega
                              K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz

Comment

Working...
                              X