How friggin stupid can I be!?! Need some help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How friggin stupid can I be!?! Need some help please

Ok, I need to install two friggin things on my uncles computer and I will finally be done with this damn thing. A modem for use with AOL and a scsi card for his scanners. Oh, and a hd, but I can't do that until everything else works..... So, as we've all installed these things before, why the fu*k do they not want to work now!?! The modem can't seem to find drivers anywhere (except for the standard drivers which AOL doesn't recognize for some reason). The scsi card won't even find that. I also randomly started getting funky vxd errors which I will just copy from this system to the other and hope it works. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I haven't been home since yesterday morning, so the soon you come up with an answer, the better...

Thanks,

Dimitri

P.S.: I'm doing this on a partitioned drive (C & D) as master on a K7 PRO. I don't imagine this would make any difference, but let me know.

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 27 April 2000).]
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Hmm, I had the same problem some years ago. It was an IRQ conflict with the scsi adapter and the modem Com Port. Maybe you should check that out.

Mega
    K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
    G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

yup Irq prob.. Put in the scsi card first and get it runnin right..then kill com ports in the bios ..then install modem with irq 3 com 2..if you can.. that should work...Good luck

------------------
      Abit BF6, P3 600E AT 882,vantec 5030 cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

Dimitri,
        What kind of modem is it?
        Some Voice-Tele-Win-modems take up ungodly numbers of hardware resources.
        Chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Ok, I'll check the IRQ's next time I go to work over there, but from what I remember, everything was looking normal and good. The modem (from what I could tell as he threw away the box and papers) is a Creative 56K v.90 (it has a REALLY long name which I don't remember but have it written down at his place).

Thanks for your help/ideas,

Dimitri
          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Make sure you have updated modem drivers. If it was somewhat of an older modem...the drivers that came in the box will give you hell (happened to me. It took me a day to figure out that it was the creative modem that was screwing things up for a friends computer) Good luck!

Green

[This message has been edited by Green (edited 29 April 2000).]
            It's not a typo...it's probably corrupt graphics generated by your overclocked video card...

Comment

Thanks guys. I got it working finally. A scsi card (2 scanners) and a another one just for a jaz drive (don't have the connectors to use one card for all 3 things). All the irq's a freed up though, so I took out the sound card. Damn! Anyway. Thanks for your help.

Dimitri
              --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Why did you take out the sound card? You should be able to get everything working together. I have one of those Creative PCI modems and if I remember correctly (its been a while since I installed it), I had to try a couple of different PCI slots. I think I found it worked only in the slot closest to the ISA slots. Play around with different slots and see what happens. (And get some cables so you can run all the SCSI stuff on one card and don't forget to terminate both ends of the SCSI chain. )

RAB

[This message has been edited by RAB (edited 29 April 2000).]
                AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
                X