Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plextor 40Max fubared by Safedisc? Guyv, SComp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plextor 40Max fubared by Safedisc? Guyv, SComp?

Hi,

I have getting some irrtating errors lately with my Plextor 40Max. When reading from priate protected games (Most new games) with Safedisc protections, I get LOTS of read errors. I tried downloading the Plextor utillity that prevents speeddown on read errors and that helped speed up the intro in Ultima IX which was REALLY choppy before, but I still get lots of read errors that resets the drive every time (drive light goes off, disc stops spinning, choppy sound from drive). NFS Porche Unleashed and NOX I can't install at all. They both return blue read error screens several times during install. It's beginning to annoy me.

Is there anything in my setup I should be aware of? I think I have my system configured pretty well, newest drivers and all.

Note: The games are NOT "backups" but retail versions.

Regards,

Jake

------------------
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    MGA-G400DH 32Mb Mill., Abit BF6 mobo bios ver. QJ, PIII-450@558, 128Mb PC-133 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 40TS CDROM, Plextor 8/20 CDR. Diamond MX300 A3D PCI soundcard, Adaptec AHA-2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah 9.1 GB LVD HDD, Quantum Fireball ST 6.4 GB UDMA33 HDD

----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Sounds like it's buggered to me. If it's still under warrenty take it back to the shop and have them check it out. also check your CD's in another Pc and see if they have problems.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Have you got the latest firmware for your 40max? They had some updates that improved read. http://www.plextor.com/dwnload.htm#firm
      There are two firmware flavors the max shipped with, revision 1.1x or 1.0x. Mine came with version 1.10, and it was pretty erratic reading some CD R's and PS "backups" I had. The 1.11 firmware update cured it. The "other" max drive is up to 1.03.

------------------
      ASUS P3B-F * P III 500 * 256MB ECC RAM * Two Cheetah LVD's * Barracuda UW * DiamondMAX IDE * Plextor Ultraplex 40max/Plexwriter 12/4/32 * Hitachi IDE DVD * 2940U2W * SB Live * 3Com 905B-TX NIC * 3Com Courier V. * Hollywood + * Win 98SE, Win 2000 *

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 28 April 2000).]
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

Thanks guys,

but I hava allready tried that. Newest version firmware 1.03. Mine is a 1.0x model. I think I will try moving it away from it place on the SCSI chain. It's configured as the last device and on of my pals told me that he has his (same hardware) set with the CDR as the last device ie. the one that holds the termination jumper.

Also, MS Golf 2000 reads REALLY slow at the beginning of the cd (where the errors are located I guess) on my drive but not on other "normal" IDE CD-drives.

Could the problem be that Plextor has discovered this after the introduction of read error based copy protection schemes and revised the firmware and hardware, thus the new 1.1x models?

Pit, yes if I can't get it working I will return it. Are you guessing that it's buggered or do you know for a fact that it is, by the details I gave you.

Finally, just to rub it in: My sig has come true like a bad prophecy! SOB! Don't you just hate it when it does that?

Jake

------------------
        ----------------------
        MGA-G400DH 32Mb Mill., Abit BF6 mobo bios ver. QJ, PIII-450@558, 128Mb PC-133 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 40TS CDROM, Plextor 8/20 CDR. Diamond MX300 A3D PCI soundcard, Adaptec AHA-2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah 9.1 GB LVD HDD, Quantum Fireball ST 6.4 GB UDMA33 HDD

----------------------
        Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Jake,

If you don't solve the problems with your current stategy, give Plextor tech support a try. I've had great success with their email tech support for some embarrassingly simple and some tough problems. Of course, if you haven't done this already.

John

------------------
          PIII750 => 840 MHz, Asus P3B-F, G400MAX (PowerDesk 5.52), lots of PC133 memory, Aureal SQ 2500 (Vortex2, 2048 drivers), Klipsch Promedia V2.400 speakers, DirectX 7.0A, Adaptec AHA-2940U2W and Fireport40 Dual UW SCSI controllers, Quantum Atlas 10K and WD Enterprise HD (no more...it died!), Plextor UtraPlex Wide, Plexwriter 8/20 CDR, the last ISA modem, etc.

Comment

I had a 32x Ultraplex that experienced problems with safedisc. I replaced it with the 40x Ultrawide (1.02 firmware) and have no trouble with anything... damn this drive kicks arse =)

Comment

Working...
            X