Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mandrake 7.0 Nic Config

Hello everyone,
    I am a newbie to Linux and I just installed Mandrake 7.0 (Air) today. Everythign works great but I don't know how to install and configure my network interface card. I have a 3Com EtherLink 10 Mbps PCI TPO. I went to 3Com's webside and downloaded linux drivers for it. The instructions were greek for me. Any help would be much appriciated.
    Thanks a bunch..
    --Pappy
    rampoaks@bellsouth.net

I think you found out why Lunix is ready for the joe public yet. Try alternative life styles forum they maybe able to help you.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm doing similar thing at the moment. What you need to do is place that driver in a specific directory which I can't remember at the moment (driver instruction should probably tell you what it is). Then start a netconfig proggie from the terminal. If you have X windows working, you should see a window pop up where you need to type in the network info. Your IP address, net mask, gateway and all that good stuff. In one of the menues, you will see a place to choose a driver (I think its called "network device"). After you pick the correct one, save changes and reboot or just restart the network. The little configuration command might also be called 'netconf', can't remember exactly as its a bit late. If you can't find it, you can run Linuxconf instead and just expand the network section.

I'm no Linux expert, but doesn't seem too complicated.

[This message has been edited by Eldar (edited 28 April 2000).]

Comment

Pappy,

I don't use Mandrake, but unless I'm mistaken, it should support your NIC out of the box. I think there's no need for extra "drivers".

Let's see what we have:

- Has the installation procedure offered you a chance to configure the NIC?
        - Have you done so?
        - Can you configure it through "/bin/netconf" (as root)?
        - Is there a file "/lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdk/net/3c90x.o"?
        - What's in "/etc/conf.modules" (or "/etc/modules.conf", whichever is present)?
        - What's the output of "/sbin/lsmod"?
        - Can I come up with any more questions? (Sure, don't get me started )

Martin

Ant, could you relocate this to Alternative Lifestyles? And give a nice warm smile to the GA admin once more ?

Comment

Working...
        X