Mill G200 vs ATI Rage Pro Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill G200 vs ATI Rage Pro Turbo

Anyone have any experience comparing these two cards for speed, display quality, etc?

Feedback please.

My PC here at work has an ATI Rage Turbo in it.

Compare to my G200, the image sucks rocks (which really really sucks, with me doing CAD all day).

Can't wait for my next card, so I can demote my G400 to my kids machine, and bring my G200 to the office...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks Kruzin - I am doing just that, bringing a G200 to work instead of my ATI. I look at monitor (1600x1200) all day. I want all the clarity I can get. BTW, do you think the G400 is another step above the G200, or is only a slight improvement?

Comment

My problem is the graphics drawing ability. I need to draw and scroll through large (30 MB) Microsoft Word documents with numerous graphic images. It is quite slow with a Millenium 2. I upgraded the Millenium 2 with an available RagePro. The speed was slightly better, but I want speed and decent image quality.

Comment

Hey Brian, I strongly recommend the G200 over the ATI Rage Pro for doing work and CAD related stuff. In terms of speed and image quality, the ATI Rage Pro cannot compare to the G200. The Rage Pro is more like the original nVidia Riva 128. If you'd like something more than the G200 w/o going too far as to use a G400, you might consider the original TNT. The image quality is almost up to par with the G200, but it's a faster card. Trust me, I actually have all of these cards. Damn...I really have to stop this spending.

------------------
          Regards,

Ben

Config: AOPen AX6BC Pro II Millenium Edition, P3 500E@715, 256MB PC133 RAM, SB Live!, 3Com 3C905BTX 10/100, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD reader, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and G773, Win98SE and WinNT 4 Server

Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

Obiben - I agree with your accessment. I have also owned all of these cards. One limitation I have to work with is the card must fit in a Compaq Deskpro 6000 which has a proprietary AGP adapter. It is not a standard ATX, which all of these cards came as. I am forced to buy the card from Compaq and they never offered a TNT as an option in the Deskpro (at least that I am aware of).

Comment

Damn....proprietary adapters....that just sucks. Well, how much RAM do you have in your Compaq PC? If you are working with large documents, maybe more RAM would be the next solution. You can never have enough RAM! 8-) Hope all works out for you in the end.

Regards,

Ben
              Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

Thanks Ben, RAM is not a problem. I have 320 MB. I wish my agency would buy Dells or Gateways. I can deal with those computers much easier than the Compaqs we have been getting. I don't understand why they feel updating the video card is so sinful.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 25 April 2000).]

Comment

G400 is a step above the G200, but not a quantum leap. You will be perfectly happy, I imagine, with the G200. In fact, for simple 2D work, I've always been happy with a Millennium/Millennium 2. And one machine here has a G100, which has almost no 3d but the 2d rocks.

The benefit of the Rage Pro is the substantially better video playback.

- Gurm

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                  X