Strange Power Supply problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Power Supply problem

I have two different ATX cases with two different power supplies.

The two computers are basically the same: Asus P5A
    AMD K6-2 (1 350 and 1 400)
    The strange thing is that the power supply from the 350 won't start (not even the PS fan) as soon as I attach anything to the 12V connectors. But If I put it in the 400 case it starts up in every case.
    The other PS starts the two of them in every case.
    I don't understand that!! Feels weird to me.

Does anybody have a clue ?

Vlip

Bad Power supply? Best thing I can think of. Does the 40 stuff work in the 350 case? What are you plugging in to the 12 V? Is it just one device that causes it or anything?

Enquiering minds want to know...

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Also, what kind of power supply sits in either case? And what do you have already in either PC, outside the peripherals you try to connect to the 12V connectors?

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

OK Boys I'll give you all the stats!

First:
        AMD K6-2 400
        128Mb PC100
        Asus P5-A
        Matrox G200
        Maxtor 5Go DD
        Creative Labs DXR2
        Addtron NIC
        230W PS (KMC)

Second:
        AMD K6-2 350
        64Mb PC100
        Asus P5-A
        Quantum 5Go DD
        Pioneer Cd-Rom
        3Com NIC
        230W PS (JNC)

I'll precise. The JNC does not want to start with the K6-2 350 but works perfectly with the K6-2 400. The KMC works perfectly with both!
        The strangest is that if I put the JNC in the 350 with only the motherboard connected to it. It boots up (well the mobo bips and the PS fan starts). But as soon as I connect the DD or the CD it won't do anything!

Vlip

Comment

hmmmmm... have you tried using the Maxtor HDD with the 350 setup and JNC PS? BTW, when did this start happeneing? Did it 'use to work' and now 'doesn't work'? Or did it never work at all? Raise your hand if your confused

<raises hand>

Jammrock

Comment

Well the 350 setup was actually a dead system. The mobo died for a reason I don't get (I checked the other components on the 400 and they work).
            So I decided to switch to ATX finally and bought a new mainboard and a new case (the JNC one).

Vlip

Comment

I'll second that vote!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

You may have a bad power supply. If the new board works in the other case and not the JNC one, then return it and get a replacement. Don't know what to say beyond that, I don't play with SS7 stuff that much...sorry.

Jammrock

Comment

Working...
                X