modems. In or Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modems. In or Out?

Quick question. I have a diamond 56i pro internal modem and i am thinking about a change for an external one. Is there any perceivable difference between an internal and external when surfing the net? Should i get a serial port or USB version? and does anyone have any recommendations?

cheers
    1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
    Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
    Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

The difference is largely moot. However, you COULD see a BIG, HUGE difference by going with a USR/3Com modem. I know it sounds stupid, but honestly it's true. When I used a Diamond, my maximum connect speed was 50k, and my throughput was lousy. When I switched to a USR Sportster 56k, my connect jumped to 54,666k and my throughput was GREAT.

However, the internal/external debate is just personal preference. I like external because I can see the little flickery lights and hear it dialing and feel all techy. However, it isn't particularly important unless you're low on slots or something.

Now, as far as CABLE modems, external is the way to go, since internal requires proprietary drivers and keeps you from changing your OS.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Right on, Gurm.

I LOVE the flashing lights. They are actually useful if you know what each of them mean.

Sometimes while doing online gaming, I will lose my connection. I can instantly glance over at the lights and see that it is because I lost my connection to my ISP, and not that the game server glitched.

I've got a P.O.S. diamond ext modem collecting dust on a shelf. It really sucked. Now I'm rockin with my USR Courier.

Comment

I disagree. In general, the difference is certainly not moot.

Nowadays, many/most internal modems are of the PCI soft/HSP/winmodem/etc variety. I.e., the card is not a fully functional modem in itself; it uses software to let the host-CPU perform many tasks that a 'real' modem would do itself.

Disadvantages:
        - Additional load for your CPU. Although this is less of a problem with today's CPU's than it was some time ago, it's still bad.
        - It will generally only work in Windows. Support for DOS-based apps, and for other OS's is bad or non-existent.

And, to be fair, some advantages:
        - Easier upgrades; replace a driver instead of flash a BIOS.
        - Lower cost. (Duh, why would anyone buy one otherwise. "Because they don't know, stupid!" Oh yeah, and that...)
        - If you have an ancient UART, an internal modem won't have trouble with that.

All in all, go with external to be certain, unless you *know* you're getting a *real* internal modem.

Avoid at least any modem which mentions either of those terms: winmodem, host-based, HCF, HSP, HSF, controllerless, host-controlled, soft modem. And ask the sales-person about it (he probably won't know, but you can always try...).

As for the 3Com/USR recommendation: agreed, but you'll pay for it... And in contrast to their other products: the Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro is nice. Maybe there's a newer version of that. Dunno, I got a cable connection now .

Martin

Comment

I am in the process of going from an internal to external 3Com Courier V Everything. The internal performs great though it sometimes connects at slower speeds than the US Robotics Sportster it replaced. Depends on time of day, traffic and such I imagine, but my connect will vary from 26,000 to 50,000 where the Sportster would always connect at 52,000. But the DL rate is the same or higher than the Sportster it replaced, despite the lower connect speeds.

This will be my first external, and the main reason is to be able to use PCI slot 6. And the flashing lights sound great too.

As far as Diamond modems, I have installed a few Supra's for friends, (they are inexpensive, as not everyone shares a passion for PC hardware). They are hardware modems and while the connect speed wasn't always great, the DL rate was good.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 20 April 2000).]
          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

To go all tech on an internal modem, just add the line AT&F in the additional commands line for the modem, plug a lead from your modem in in your soundcard, and turn on your speakers

Now no matter what volume you set the dialing in at, you'll always hear it

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

EES:

I neglected to mention winmodems because they are not scottish.

Welcome to All Things Scottish. If it's not Scottish, it's CRRRAAAAPPPPP!
              - Gurm

------------------
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Don't forget about the fact that an internal modem sucks up power as well although it's probably not to much. Some people worry about power because of there power supplies but others worry they are adding to much to there wall outlet. Just something else to think about. I always went external so I could always tell if there was activity or not including Carrier Detect, Auto Answer and such which all tell you if your getting connected.

Dave

------------------
                I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll just go to the estate agents and put my house up for sale so i can afford a 3com
                  1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                  Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                  Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Don't forget the obvious that an external modem allows you to easily share the modem with your other PCs and visiting PCs (e.g. laptops).
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I vote for internal. One less piece of crap on my desk.

Comment

Gurm,
                        I thought V90 specified a maximum of 53k down, and 33.6 up. Or am I wrong?
                        Jan

Comment

I would avoid USB modems. I've tried a few 56K V90 USB modems and the best connection I could get was 45k. With my 56K USR, and OEM 56K internal Compaq modem I connect (usually) at 50.667k.

Comment

jms,

v90 is capable of 56,000 downloads, but is currently limited to 53 "k" (an iffy number) give or take, plus or minus compression. At my last address, where I used the modem, I could look out my window at the local TelCo switch, and therefore was getting 54,666 all the time. Go figure.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

RoGuE, I run my 3Com USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro through USB and I normally connect at 50666 running v.90. I haven't noticed a difference when running serial vs. USB; I've compared the modem diagnostics after running with each connection to confirm my observations.
                              The max xfer speed on v.90 is limited due to FCC regulations but one is usually further limited by the line quality to your POP. The FAQ forum pointed to an interesting article concerning v.90 vs. K56flex limitations.

P.S. My ISP also has some good info concerning 56K modems.
                              F. Why am I not connecting at 53K (i.e. 45K)?
                              Phone lines limit V.34 and 56K connections. These connection speeds are decreased by line noise in Analog phone signals. Since there is an analog portion in an 56K connection (between your home and the CO) this will limit the connection rate. The length and quality of the phone lines between your home and the first CO are the determining factor of your connection speed. Normal 56K connection speeds will be in the range of 42K to 47K. The highest connection speed, because of the FCC regulations should be 53K.
                              53K = 54272.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 21 April 2000).]
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X