Another P3B-F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another P3B-F

Retired my P2B-LS and installed a P3B-F today. Used an Adpatec 2940U2W card and a 3Com 905B-TX NIC cause it's too hard to unsolder the onboard ones.

Found you have to disable IDE drives to get it to boot. I cheated too and removed most of the devices in device manager prior to swapping MB. I didn't want to spend two days getting back to where I was. Seems OK for now.

Any O/C advice before I get started?

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 14 April 2000).]
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

DISABLE THE CPU TEMURATURE IN THE BIOS!!! Most of the P3B-F's report invalid CPU temps when you overclock. If it is disabled your system will start beeping and going crazy if you have it enabled. Otherwise there are no troubles.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The latest revs. don't have the problem, been running one for about 3 weeks and no temperature issues so far. I think it is the 104 rev.

------------------
      PIII 650E at 805Mhz, G400Max, Asus P3B-F (ain't none better!), 384MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.
      PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

YoKoMo [1], what rev. do you have? I have 1.04, so is there a 1.05?

I updated the BIOS to 1005, still reads 55/131. Still have the external temp sensor attached from the LS, connected it to the jtpwr, reads 10C lower.
        Matrox P
        LianLiPC70

Comment

You might want to use Asus Probe 2.02 (3.1Mb) for measuring differences.

Jord.
          When I chose to go out
          I always leave the light on
          when I have to stay in,
          you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
          now that I'm living on my own,
          and while they've never been more right,
          can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

Hi Jorden, had ASUS Probe 2.02. New version supplied with MB is 2.10. Both read same.
            Matrox P
            LianLiPC70

Comment

Hi cking4@ford.com. I have a retail processor with the single fan, so the internal temp could be correct since the external sensor on the edge of heat sink was 10C lower.

I have many fans pumping air into and out of case and my MB temp is low, so air flow is not an issue here. My hottest drives are in the top of the tower and I have seperate exhaust fans in lower and upper parts of tower.

Seen lots of posts here and Deja about this. Maybe the answer is an OEM Coppermine with the dual fan...
              Matrox P
              LianLiPC70

Comment

You probably want to stay away from the newest Asus Probe, ver. 2.11. Nobody likes it. It's a resource hog. People are under the impression that it has accuracy problems. (Whether or not this is true is debatable. New motherboard models, with full Coppermine support, are reported to measure CPU temperature differently and report much higher readings.)

If you don't want to use a utility whose name sounds like a mispronounced alien proctology experiment, there are a couple of good third party solutions available: Motherboard Monitor and HMonitor.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                X