Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celeron running temps....is mine too hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celeron running temps....is mine too hot?

Evening all.......

Running a slot 1 celeron 400@540 at 2.1v with a vantec double fan cooler/hs ( smallish) and thermal grease. Everything stable, but temp is 45C, with the hs not even warm to the touch. At CPU default settings (400@66)the temp is 40C.

I can run windows and 2d stable at 570 using 2.2v, but cannot get through 3DMark 2000. Temp is 50C. Voltage maxes out at 2.3 in BIOS, and I seem to be stuck here.

Do these temps seem ok? I don't see why the hs isn't getting hot, though. Oh, I am using MBM 4.16 (BIOS agrees with the temps)

Any input would be appreciated

------------------
    Celeron 400@540 on ABIT BE6 r2, 96M RAM, G400 32m DH oem, voodoo II SLI, Montego A3D Xstream, 300W PS
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Heatsinks are cheap, I would try an Alpha (my preference) and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Let it fry!
      By next month a new proccessor will be cheaper than the alpha.
      Also, I was starting to get occasional lockups so I took my processor out...
      Oops! the themal goop was not making contact with the entire surface of the heat-sink. The surface of eather the chip or the heat-sink (or both) are not perfecly flat.
      I have the same heat-sink as you do so it might be worth checking.
      I just globbed on more goop -> problem fixed!
      chuck

ps. the fact that your heat-sink is not even warm should be a giveaway that heat is not being transfered from your chip.

------------------
      ABit BF6, Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, Princeton EO75, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 16 April 2000).]
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yes, I thought that imperfect contact could be the problem; the chip has been in and out a couple of times, slathered with thermal grease, and has reduced the temp by 8-10 C, but the hs still won't get warm!

Oh well...
        P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

Try this test.
          1. Clean ALL the HSG (heat-sink goop) off of your processor and heat-sink.
          2. Apply HSG to your processor only.
          3. Reinstall your processor and run it up to temp.
          4. Take out your processor & carefully remove the heat-sink without sliding it around.
          5. Look at the pattern of HSG on the heat-sink.
          5a. Is it even?
          5b. Are there gaps?
          6. Correct any problems that you find.

chuck

Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

45 is within spec, if it runs alright, you're okay!

Comment

At work we got Celeron FCPPGA 533 and the monitoring utility that is on the setup cd claims that the CPU temp is 71 Degrees celcius!!
              The HS is cold, the CPU is frezing cold to touch!
              Hawent checked what the BIOS states but its fun to see the reaction on peoples faces when they see the display

------------------
              INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
              G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
              SBlive
              256 MB RAM CAS2
              43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
              Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
              SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Good point alpha.
                I forgot to add.. Mine's been running 50c for nearly a year now.
                chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

This might just be me, but I've found the overclocked PCs generaly run cooler then retail PCs that are at stock clock speed. The reason is that
                  1. Overclockers apply loads o' cooling.
                  2. When a C400 is say at 540mhz, it needs to be cooler than it has to be at 400 to run properly.

Comment

chuck...Did that, found some high spots and temp dropped another 4C! Now 400@66 is 36C, and 400@540 is about 41C.

alpha...yes, it runs fine. Where can I find running temp specs?

I am thinking about an Alpha hs, but I may be maxed out voltage wise already, and the $55 could be spent elsewhere.

Nick

Comment

I think a lot of people who have been relying on their motherboard's temperature monitoring are in for a bit of a surprize when they upgrade to CPU with a Coppermine core and a motherboard that properly supports it's temperature monitoring function.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Paul....You mean mine doesn't??? GASP!!

Nick

------------------
                        Celeron 400@540 on ABIT BE6 r2, 224M RAM, G400 32m DH oem, voodoo II SLI, Montego A3D Xstream, 300W PS

Comment

It's actually kind of appalling.

When the VIA Apollo Pro 133A started hitting the streets, many of us, without thermistors manually attached to our CPU's, screamed in terror.

50+ C! What's this about?!? My motherboard must be broken!!!

Paul
                          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

They are somewhere on http://developer.intel.com or something.

Comment

Working...
                            X